Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I think I already know the answer here, but am just curious to hear anyone else's experience with waiting for a miscarriage and hcg levels dropping. Is there a "magic number" that it needs to get down to for things to start happening? It seems to me logically that there wouldn't be, that it wouldn't have any real connection, but I was curious....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mine was 9840 yesterday at what should have been 9w2d with fetal demise at 7w. I hadn't had a draw since like 5w but it seems to me that it must have dropped a good amount already. Still not a drop of blood, pregnancy symptoms are still on and off.</p>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
<p>My levels at 8 weeks were 46,000. At 9 weeks they were 58,000. Four days after that second blood draw, I had a little gush of amniotic fluid and started bleeding.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>After the second blood draw, I asked the phone nurse if my rising levels were an indication that I should not expect to miscarry any time soon, and she said yes. That obviously was not the case. Since my levels were so high and still rising before the m/c, in my case they weren't a good indication at all of impending bleeding.</p>

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thanks so much for sharing! That helps to hear and give me some more perspective. :)</p>

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
<p>Unfortunately, sometimes it takes some time for the body to get the message - and your placenta keeps growing and putting out progesterone which doesn't help. In my experience, m/c have happened about 1-1.5 weeks after I found out the baby had passed - like my mind then told my body it was okay to let go. Hopefully it happens quickly for you. (((hugs)))</p>

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
<p>Ap mama. I don't think it's the falling levels that start a m/c. I think it's just that bleeding starts within the lining and just snowballs itself.</p>
<p>My levels were lower than momtojj's. At 9 weeks when the loss was confirmed (baby died at 8w4d) my levels were 36000. Nothing happened for 2 weeks still. I peed on some sticks and they all stayed the same. The day I passed the placenta I did another and my test was suddenly drastically lighter.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think HCG is the effect, rather than the cause. Sometimes hcg even keeps rising after the baby dies.</p>

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
<p>Yeah the HCG is actually quite unlikely to go down until the baby/placenta is out. It's the dropping progesterone that starts the actual labor and that is just something that happens slowly after the baby dies.</p>

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
<p>I am so sorry for your loss.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I agree with everyone about HCG levels.  You can have rising levels and the placenta can take a while to stop producing HCG.</p>
<p>I found out at 12 weeks my baby died at 10 weeks.  I waited a week without even a cramp or a spec of blood and opted for the D&E.</p>
<p>I did not have pregnancy symptoms at this point, and as far as I know it is normal for hcg levels to drop after 10 or so weeks anyways.</p>
<p>For me, I just couldn't wait any longer.  It is so hard.  :(</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope things move quickly for you and you can find closure.  Hugs to you.</p>

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<p>Thanks everyone. I think you're all right. And thanks for the kind words and support. Bleeding started the day I turned 10 weeks, 3 weeks after fetal demise, and was complete within 24 hours. It's a relief to be done and now I'm starting the real emotional healing.</p>

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
<p>Hugs. Glad it finished quickly on it's own.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts