Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm entering the over reacting parent stage.<br><br>
I was feeding our 2 wk old this morning, and I noticed sort of an odd bump at the base of his neck. Have never really seen it before, probably because 90% of the time his head is sort of slouched downward.<br><br>
Anyways, it seems to be the start of the collar bone, next to the soft spot of the neck/airway. Kind of like it sticks out just a touch farther then the other side.<br><br>
Is this something to worry about, I'd hate to call the ped about something so stupid. It just seems like maybe it's out of place from the birth process or something.<br><br>
I don't know, thought I'd come on here to see what people think.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I'm not sure, but in my experience when my son's collar bone was broken (over the shoulder area) the lump formed and the doc told me it was bone and eventually the lump disappears. You wouldn't really know the collar bone had broken and there was little treatment for it.<br><br>
Did you have shoulder dystocia or a tough time getting babe out? I wonder if it broke? Usually you hear it though - so I was told by the MW whose son's arm broke during delivery.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
This I would have checked by a pediatrician.<br><br>
It very well could be nothing, but what if it were something you should be aware of? Better to be in the know, I think.<br><br>
That having been said, in all likelihood it's nothing serious. Just best to check IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went in this morning... we felt like the typical over-protective parents. But I guess it was good in that it stopped us from guessing what it was.<br><br>
The ped said that some times when babies are vacuumed out, they can strain/pull the muscles/tendons in their neck. And that it's most likely just a tight muscle from the birthing process. Nothing to worry about.<br><br>
Guess this is just he beginning of worrying!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts