Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This baby of mine is insane in the membrane. (Yes, you can thank me for getting the song stuck in your head later)

He doesn't want to be carried. He doesn't want to play with any of the toys I've given him, both manufactured playthings or tupperware or spoons or whatnot. He doesn't want to sit in the exersaucer. No, he wants to crawl around the living room and try to bust into all the cabinets. He wants to pull himself up on many dangerous things (stools, sister's art table) and stand there, and today he started cruising. He wants to climb the stairs, and has gotten up to the third. He stands at the bathroom door and pounds on it because he wants to play in the water. He is seven months old, eight months tomorrow. He has no concept of danger. I've baby proofed the best I can without using bolts.

Please help me. What can I do with him? Is there a toy or THING that your baby likes playing with when you're making dinner for the family? I still have to feed the family or they might starve.

·
Registered
652 Posts
my dd loves her jolly jumper. she's only 5 months so we're a bit behind you however, she loves bouncing to rap and hip hop.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Sorry, we're in exactly the same boat. I send her out for walks with dad while I cook dinner. She dives into the dog's water bowl now if I let her sit in the kitchen with me - which spills water all over the tile, making it dangerous for baby AND me.

·
Registered
820 Posts
how about putting him on your back? in a wrap or a mei tai?

or just get a play yard and let him explore his little space while you cook? build him a tent to hide under, or give him a little bowl of water, leave him nekkid and let him splash merrily....

does he like really loud stuff- pots & pans? leave one cabinet open full o' stuff that he can have.... like plastic tupperware stuff.

just throwing out some ideas. my dd also likes to climb the desks and hang out on top of things. luckily she's a bit older, so I let her be, within reason.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many lbs does the jumpy thing go up to? That's a good one. FSB is 20+?? lbs.

He doesn't like being worn right now (and I have quite the stash of carriers); but yes, the pantry idea is good, and the water play is also a good idea.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Oh, I feel your pain. My ds is 13 months, will try to fling himself out of any sort of babywearing device if he thinks there is something more interesting to do, and hates anything that keeps him confined.
Right now, the only things that keep his attention are the cat's water bowl and any object that can be thrown at said cat.

*sigh*

I
naptime.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have the hang-in-the-doorway classic type jolly jumper. It says up to 28lb. and to discontinue use when the kid can walk. So, you might not get TONS of use out of it but I think they're only like 20 or 30 bucks at Target. (I assume you're in the states).

I gotta tell ya, it's hysterical to watch Ari doing her little jig. It seems that after a few sessions, kids really get style in these things! Our little friend Eli looks like a riverdancer in it

·
Registered
738 Posts
We also have cabinets in the kitchen full of things that DD can go right ahead and play with if she wants. We keep the really messy/potentially dangerous stuff up high, so everything on her level is okay for her to have. She loves opening up the pantry and cabinets and getting the things out for herself while mama is cooking. Makes a nice big mess I've got to navigate around, but hey, what can you do?

I often put Cheerios on the floor for her to munch on while I cook too. (Of course the floor is clean enough to eat off of!) It was so cute, the other day she went to the cabinet, got out the box of Cheerios, brought it over to me, and tossed it down at my feet. It was pretty obvious what she wanted. She has great fun trying to get the Cheerios out of the box and the inner bag and although she hasn't mastered that yet, it occupies her for quite a while. She enjoys having her sippy cup of water down there as well. And I'll give her little bites of what I'm making, although I'm not sure how much your DS could eat seeing as he's only 8 months old. He sounds like a real firecracker!

·
Registered
586 Posts
my dd is 7m and is doing all that also. so, i give her a solid little stool that she can crawl to and pull herself up on. then i put things on the stool, like white chedder cheetos, or a pretzel stick, or a baby whip. then i hide things under the stool. her sippy cup, a spoon. if that doesn't work, i usually give her a frozen chunk of baby food. messy yes, but it keeps her busy. try getting creative. my baby loves obsticles, make a little corse for him to crawl through. hope these ideas help.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
ds is 9mths and just started crawling, and hes the same way, who cares about my millions of toys, whats in daddys cabinet? We are just doing redirection, and i have a jolly jumper for him which i stick him in for a break from chasing him around.

your right lynn, they get some pretty good footwork in those things. Sometimes I think ds is going to be in the ballet with the way he jumps around.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
How many lbs does the jumpy thing go up to? That's a good one. FSB is 20+?? lbs.
DD's just over 20 pounds and still jumping away....

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I know where I could get a jumper used, so I guess I might as well do it.

He doesn't have any teeth yet, but I do look forward to the food-related distractions. I have to watch him very closely in his highchair still right now. He also doesn't have the pincer grasp down still (except on my back -OW), so we might be waiting on the O's. But those are great ideas.

I like the obstacle course. My SIL will lend me her baby playpen, and I'm totally going to try this water bowl idea, as it sounds like a lot of babies like it.

My firstborn was a preemie, so she was always behind all milestones and loved being carried - and I didn't mind all that much, to be honest. I think the secondborn just wants to be in on the good times, to his mother's angst. I feel very overwhelmed.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by e123vg
my dd is 7m
Our babies have the same birth date!

FSM -> I've been watching your posts for some time as (a) you're a hoot! and (b) our babes are close in age.

I've got the same challenges - we're in this together Mama!! DS just discovered that there's an exciting world outside of his room/play area that he can get to ON HIS OWN now that he's ooching/crawling. Whenever it gets too quiet it means he's left the building....
:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts