Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that pumped breastmilke shouldn't be mixed unless it was within the same 24 hours period. The problem is, I have some EBM that is less than 2 ounces and DD drinks at least 3 ounces at a time. When I pumped the small amount I had hoped to be able to pump more later that day to have enough for one bottle but I was never able to. Now I have this small amount and I don't know what to do with it.

Would it be ok to mix it with breastmilk that was pumped a few days later? If not, why can't it be mixed? I'm not sure I understand why.....

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The 'don't mix' advice is for freezing. The worry about adding warm breastmilk to previously frozen milk is that bacteria may have more chance to grow. I have never seen any hard evidence about this - but that is the hypothesis. I can't see any reason not to mix 2 bags of thawed breastmilk in one bottle, if baby takes more than one of the bags at a time. If it isn't too much work, you could feed one bag and then the other, so the 2nd doesn't go to waste if baby isn't that hungry at that feed.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
also from a food safety stand point, don't let the cumulative out of fridge time be more then 4 hours. (some say 6, every other perishable food in the world is 4) so, this includes the time it takes you to pump, and you have to use the oldest time. Example. I pump for 30 mins, put in in the fridge, pump for 20 mins, mix it. The milk is 30 mins old.(not 20, not 50, but 30) Also, if you don't put the first milk in the fridge between the 2 pumpings, the clock keeps counting and the new milk gets the old milks time, so if you left it out for an hour, then wanted to add the new milk all the milk is now an hour old, even though half of it is only 20 mins.

Fridge= 8 days
freezer= 3 months for a normal house freezer

Don't add new milk to 9 day old fridge milk, its all bad now.

I know thats a lot, but I'm a chef and I hate to see people give themselves food poisoning.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it's within 24 hours, you can just combine and the resultant bottle has the same fridge-life as the individual bottles. If it has been over 24 hours, you can combine (if they're both cold first), but then use the date of the oldest bottle when determining how old it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.