Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is on antibiotics for an ear infection, are there any reasons I shouldn't get him his scheduled MMR? If not why? And how long should I wait after he finishes them?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You might get different responses but my take on it is that my kids have to be in good health at the time…so no infections, no colds/URIs, and no antibiotics. Gut bacteria plays a huge role in immunity and it seems like we're learning more and more all the time. I'd want my kids to have replenished their healthy gut bacteria before doing any vaccines, especially a live virus one.

Ask your GP/ped what he recommends, but he will likely not see a problem with going ahead as scheduled. Ultimately, it is your decision though.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like I can't find any literature on it. :/ I will try to contact our pedi... thanks!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I used to hang out in the Vax forum a lot. As my non vaxed son grew older I kind of put the vax discussion behind me and hung out in other forums but anyway I started coming around in the last couple of days with the news(California law) and saw your post. I remember this antibiotic topic used to come up a lot. There were a lot of people who talked about the antibiotics killing the good flora and then vax like mmr coming in ... no bueno.

If you are vaxing I would wait a long time after antibiotics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to hang out in the Vax forum a lot. As my non vaxed son grew older I kind of put the vax discussion behind me and hung out in other forums but anyway I started coming around in the last couple of days with the news(California law) and saw your post. I remember this antibiotic topic used to come up a lot. There were a lot of people who talked about the antibiotics killing the good flora and then vax like mmr coming in ... no bueno.

If you are vaxing I would wait a long time after antibiotics.
Have you had any issues with your non vaxed child? How old is he may I ask?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Have you had any issues with your non vaxed child? How old is he may I ask?
My son is 14.
illness problems? Not really. No ear infections. Not one round of antibiotics for anything. Has certainly had colds and stomach bugs. But not an extraordinary amount. We do suffer from sinus stuff. I inherited the sinus issues from my father and my son got from me. But nothing else of note.

I'm an older mom btw. I had my son at 43! I didn't meet my husband until I was 38. Got married at 41. Had son at 43. No science to get him either not that it matters. Anyway, my point is that I was a kid in the 1960's and I remember kids getting childhood diseases. Measles, chicken pox. I got chicken pox though didn't get measles even though kids at school got them, missed a week of school watched too much TV and came home. When your memory of childhood diseases is that...well, it is really hard to get panicked and run out to get vaxes. I'm just too weirded about all the autoimmune issues that seem to be all over the place and I gotta wonder .....

·
Registered
12 Posts
My son is 14.
illness problems? Not really. No ear infections. Not one round of antibiotics for anything. Has certainly had colds and stomach bugs. But not an extraordinary amount. We do suffer from sinus stuff. I inherited the sinus issues from my father and my son got from me. But nothing else of note.

I'm an older mom btw. I had my son at 43! I didn't meet my husband until I was 38. Got married at 41. Had son at 43. No science to get him either not that it matters. Anyway, my point is that I was a kid in the 1960's and I remember kids getting childhood diseases. Measles, chicken pox. I got chicken pox though didn't get measles even though kids at school got them, missed a week of school watched too much TV and came home. When your memory of childhood diseases is that...well, it is really hard to get panicked and run out to get vaxes. I'm just too weirded about all the autoimmune issues that seem to be all over the place and I gotta wonder .....
kinda scary :frown:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts