Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>i am going to college! yay!<br><br>
but they are really strict about making sure students have the mmr immunization. i tried to just file the same exemption form i use for my son but they sent me a different waiver to sign and asked me to not only sign it but to also include a<span style="color:rgb(15,36,62);">n additional explanation to accompany the waiver. the explanation should detail the medical, personal or religious reason that i am requesting the waiver.<br><br>
i usually just claim religious exemption but i am lucky enough to live in az where we may be personally opposed as well!<br><br>
so question 1 - would anybody be willing to help me formulate a short and sweet statement as to why i am opposed to the vaccination. in general i think vaccines can be helpful in certain circumstances but i do not believe in mass vaccination for non-serious diseases and especially vaccinating small children and newborns. i feel that we could put our public health energy and money into so many more benfical places. also i feel that heavy metals and other vaccine ingredients are dangerous. i do not believe that the risks of the vaccine outweigh the benefits. i guess thats my statement right there, eh? i know that i am immune to rubella (tested while pregnant). i just don't really know what they are looking for here.... can they refuse my waiver because of my statement?<br><br>
question 2 - the waiver basically states that i have been given info about the vaccine and the risk and benefits of the shot. as well as the risk of an outbreak on the campus community. i refuse immunization and i agree to be exclued from campus if there is an outbreak and they will not refund my tution if i am excluded to the point of being dropped from a class. not thrilled to sign it but i just really doubt it will ever come up as an issue. can you think of any major issues that might come up with signing this?</span></p>

·
Registered
260 Posts
<p>I don't think they can require you to explain yourself.  I signed a waiver when I was in grad school for the MMR and it basically said, fine, if there's an outbreak I can't come to campus.  It was never an issue. </p>

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
<p>I think the ones for my kids state something like....We are claiming a vaccine exemption for the children for personal reasons including religious....that was it.</p>

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
<p>I'd say something like,  "I believe that my body was made in perfection by God and that the use of vaccinations is an insult to His perfection. God created me, and God can heal me."</p>

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
<p>If there is a personal belief exemption then why would they need to know the details?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd go with religious as that is seen as more "legitimate": "I am religiously opposed to the practice of vaccination."</p>

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
<p>Also, were you vaccinated as a child. You may not need an exemption if you can prove your titers are still good.</p>

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<p>Don't give them any reasons to argue with.  Just put "I am religiously opposed to the practice of vaccination."  The end.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts