Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, if you get the MMR at a certain age will you not have to get a booster shot later? I hope this question makes sense. Like, if you hold off on the MMR until right before your child starts kindergarten and then they get it, will they ever have to get the vaccine again in the future. DH and I were wondering about this. I looked but couldn't find anything that answered this question specifically.<br><br>
TIA

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
By mandates -it is supposed to be 2 doses of measles vaccine by K is what my state says-<br>
If you wait or not -it does not matter.<br><br>
If you are not concerned with school policies,(homeschool)-then if you wanted the child to have it -you could just get one shot if your Dr said ok to that.(YOU have to decide).

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I agree in that 2 doses are usually required by law without claiming an exemption(or having titer levels that are acceptable).This is because of the outbreaks that occured in the vaccinated population in the 1980's.Outbreaks occured and what else can they tell the parents but," I guess we need to give a booster dose!"<br><br>
This will happen with the varivax vaccine(chickenpox) because their are alot of outbreaks occuring,and what will happen to these kids as adults?<br><br>
Please read the vaccine inserts for both the varivax and MMR vaccines.The MMR one states the *average* immunity levels after a first dose for each disease,and if I remember correctly says that most people DO NOT NEED a second dose.That second dose is given out of pure laziness(and to make a buck) instead of checking titer levels and giving the appropriate single doses as needed.Shoot, some people show more concern for their dogs by having titers checked to avoid extra vaccine exposure than they do for their kids!<br><br>
For the varivax vaccine the insert states it is UNKNOWN if booster shots will be required(time will tell they say).Hmmm,does the word guinea pigs fit here?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I had a bad reaction to MMR as a baby, so I've never gotten a booster even though I was "required" to have one to enter college. I got some pressure from the NP at my doc's office at the time about a 2nd one (I doubt my doc would have cared), but the school was fine with a titer test (which showed probably immunity even that many years later).<br><br>
BTW, I think this is one of the easiest vaxes to claim a religious exemption for, given what it's made out of. Even if you're partially vaxing, I think you could get by without doing this one on a religious waiver.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can't see how the school could insist on two MMR boosters before Kindergarten if your dc received one the year he or she started school.<br>
Like the previous poster said, 90% of children seroconvert after the first shot, and do NOT need the second one. However, in order to catch the 10% that do not seroconvert, they just revaccinate everyone MMR at age 4 or 5.<br>
If the school wants your child revaccinated for anything for any reason, you can always have titers on the child for that particular disease to see if they need to be revaccinated. If the titer levels are ok, then there is no need for a booster. This would also work to show proof for children who have immunity from having the actual disease.<br><br>
edited for clarity.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Just wondering how in the world you can claim a religious exemption if you selectively vax. I don't want to give dd the varivax shot, but I can't see a way around it in this state.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Verity-<br>
This is kinda my problem as well since I didn't get smart about vaxes until my ds was 12 months old so he has all the recommended vaxes up til 12 months. He starts school based therapy soon and I'm trying to figure out what to do because he sure isn't getting any more vaxes.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
It is a tough one for me. My ds has had the shot--I wasn't educated about it then (1995). My middle child had chicken pox at 9 mos. I took her to the ped to confirm the diagnosis, so I didn't have to have a titer to prove disease history. Now my third child is 3, and I am sending her to preschool in the fall. I was hoping to at least delay completing immunizations until she's kindergarten age, but the law requires varicella vax for day care/preschool as well. And no philosophical exemption here--religious or medical only.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>kms1s</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I can't see how the school could insist on two MMR boosters before Kindergarten if your dc received one the year he or she started school. .</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
>>><br><br>
Another MMR dose can be given the 30 days following the first dose.I have also read that you need to wait 30 days between the MMR and the varivax if you plan to get it(varivax) and don't want to on the ame day..Why do you have to wait 30 days when some place give them on the same day(or in the same shot)?<br><br>
I have read of children having to get a 3rd dose because the schools said that an MMR given a week or days before the age of 12 months was INVALID.<br><br>
As for religious exemption for selective vaxers it is hard in some states that push all or nothing.Most parents just do all the shots they want before school and then claim an exemption from that point on.The varivax has human fetal cells and animals cells.Both in issue for some religious groups.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Some states offer a philosophical exemption for daycare only, I know ours does. I would check into that. You can not get any shots w/ a religious exemption or you can get all but CP and MMR. Like someone else said, I think you would just get all the shots you were planning on getting before school starts (there aren't any boosters really needed for school age children) and then claim an exemption of some sort and just don't get anymore.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
It is my understanding that you can not claim religious or philos. exemptions on partial vax, but MMR is in a league on its own since it is grown on induced aborted lung tissues.<br><br>
If you give all the vaccines, you can still claim a religious exemption for that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts