Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I've just been to an allergist and, earlier, a dermatologist, and was told that I should avoid makeup and many moisturizers. The one moisturizer that the allergist recommended, I'd already tried, and had had a reaction.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can anyone recommend safe moisturizers? I've tried things like coconut oil, but it doesn't absorb well for me. I appreciate your suggestions!</p>

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
<p>Emu oil.  I's really wonderful on my very sensitive skin.  <a href="http://www.kaylala.com" target="_blank">www.kaylala.com</a></p>

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
<p>The only moisturizer that doesn't cause me a problem is Vanicream. It's not at all natural though!</p>
<p>My son with allergies handles california baby super sensitive lotion well.</p>

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
<p>we're okay with cetaphil. what are your allergies?</p>

·
Registered
392 Posts
<p>Physiogel? We used natural moisturisers before but ds2 seems to react to nut oils, and his skin doesn't absorb olive oil well. We have used QV, Cetaphil and Physiogel. I feel best about Physiogel cream which doesn't have preservatives added, and at the same time, seems to really penetrate his skin really well. A little goes a long way.</p>

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I guess "safe" depends on why you're avoiding the moisturizers. Do you have allergies or sensitivities to certain ingredients?<br><br>
I will second a pp that emu oil is fantastic though. Really moisturizing, and absorbs well.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
<p>How about shea butter or plain cocoa butter? </p>

·
Registered
6 Posts
<p>Some of these suggestions would be problematic if you have nut allergies so be careful with your allergy set.  Thanks for the heads up on Emu</p>

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<p>Thank you for these suggestions. So far, I don't know what the issues are. I'd had swelling in my eyes to the point where my eyes nearly shut when I wore a Neutrogena brand sensitive skin moisturizer, and other over the counter sensitive moisturizers that I'd tried produced extreme flaking and a red rash (bumpy in some places). He just suggested quitting putting anything on my face for now, and seeing what happens. Aside from being pretty dry, I haven't had any issues, but now I just have the regular tight, dry face of winter time. I will look into these suggestions. Thank you very much!</p>

·
Registered
664 Posts
<p>Funny you should mention this.  My mom just told me that she discovered the solution to her problem, which was similar to yours.  It was driving her crazy for the better part a year.  Contact dermatitis.  The doctor suggested that hair spray might be the problem.  My mom stopped using her hair spray and has not had a problem since.  I'd heard about fragrances in soaps, shampoos, lotions, perfumes, and cosmetics.  But I never would have thought of hair spray, although in hindsight it makes sense.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We use the Cetaphil cream in the screw top jar.  Not the Cetaphil lotion in the pump or tube.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We also use Aquaphor.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We also use Vanicreme.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>At some point we used Eucerin.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Not natural, but great for skin allergies for us.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Some physicians suggest Lubriderm. also something called Curel or Curiel?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Keri lotion is pretty good, but I don't remember if it has fragrances.</p>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts