Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DD just got her molars in (total of 12 teeth at the moment) and she just turned 12 months! i feel like she is not sleeping at all at night sometimes! i keep asking her ped if there is anything i can do, but her ped keeps saying there is nothing. i think i would worry less if DD had more breaks in between but i feel like she's had none at all, and since hyland teething tablets have been recalled, i'm at a loss for ideas. DD does not like to chew on wet rags, or anything cold, or anything soft (with the exception of my nipples, to my dismay haha!).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i read somewhere about clove oil. any users here that can tell me more about that?</p>
<p>or about something else?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>(she also lost weight due to her fear of eating something. as soon as something immediately hurts, she will refuse to eat/nurse anything for hours.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>(i also do use tylenol, mainly at night. but i try not to use it all the time, cause seriously since she's been teething ALL THE TIME, i feel like i'd be using it ALL THE TIME! i worry for her liver although her ped claims if it's only used at night i shouldn't worry..)</p>

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
<p>I don't have a lot of suggestions as my DS is the same way with sleep and teething.  I found that his teething pain is definately worse at night.  I use ibuprofen rather than tylenol because I find it helps more.  I also elevated his mattress for a cold last month and having his head above his feet seems to help with teething pain too.  Honestly, I think that it's just something that you have to ride out.  DS also liked really hard things to chew on while getting his molars.  Wooden spoon handles were our go-to.  Hang in there! </p>

·
Registered
45 Posts
<p>We used clove oil when DS was a lot younger (before any teeth actually broke through).  Basically, you dilute one drop of clove oil in 1T of olive oil and rub on their gums.  This did help (it numbs the gums), but it made him drool like mad and doesn't last very long so you have to keep applying.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DS is cutting all kinds of molars right now and, like you, I worry about his sleep.  I occasionally give him ibuprofin and that seems to help a ton, but I don't want to rely on it...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We also use cold silicone chewies during the day.  Interested to hear if there are other solutions floating around.</p>

·
Registered
474 Posts
<p>even though hylands teething tablets have been recalled for the time being, they still have the teething gel that can help.  instead of the teething tablets, we actually use the hylands chamomilla which is perfect for teething and irritability!! </p>

·
Registered
830 Posts
<p>The only thing that helps my DS (he also won't chew on anything) is motrin.  It is night and day for him when he really needs it.  I can tell when it starts working because he's a totally different child.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am not really into meds, but I think there are times when they're really needed.  My ped said if adults experienced the same pain that teething infants do, they'd need narcotics to deal with it.  Yikes!  As long as I'm not giving four doses a day for more than a couple days at a time, I don't worry about it.  (And I make sure he's drinking lots of fluids.)</p>

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>there is a hylands brand gel?? i did not know that! i haven't seen it around but hopefully i just missed it at the store or something..</p>
<p>i have thought of using motrin instead. propping up DD on a couple pillows seems to help until she rolls off them. i'm also worried that by doing so DD spine will grow in incorrectly, but i have read nothing to back that theory up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i just don't like the idea of using tylenol or any medicine for such a long strong of days.. and i feel like there will be one or two nights where she is okay without it.. and then there will be a string of 5-7 nights where she screams and stays up until we give in and give her some kind of medicine..</p>
<p> </p>
<p>people say there are breaks in between each sets of teeth but is that really true?? with the 12 teeth out, there are now 4 more coming out. it's ridiculous! i've seen sooo many babies at 12 months with 2-4 teeth. do those babies just go through these string of teething months a lot later??</p>
<p> </p>
<p>we cohabitat with my older brother, who is single and very into his sleep. all this screaming is making me scared he would want us to not live together anymore! everytime DD screams, you can hear him scream a little later out of frustration, haha!</p>

·
Registered
830 Posts
<p>My son's first 5 teeth came in two at a time, and one at a time three times (his bottom teeth are weird--come in one at a time).  But recently he's got FIVE coming in at once--all four molars in different stages and that last bottom tooth.  They were all in slightly different stages, but still all clearly coming in.  I think it's just different for different babes.  Some just get a bunch all at once.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope you can find something to make your babe more comfortable!!  I'd love to know if the Hyland's gel works or not!</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts