Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried non surgical routes to get rid of moles? Dh and I have have tons of moles (dh has a few on his face) and we would love to get a few of them removed without huge scars. My sister had one taken off once and it just grew back all gross looking. Anyone ever tried something like these? Do you think they are safe? They all say money back guarantee, is there some sort of catch? Thanks!

http://www.wartmolevanish.com/
http://www.molegone.net/
http://www.fonoils.com/moles.html?so...FRNlYQod_gurPQ

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My 2 cent:

there reason for the scar after the mole removal is that that have to get all the tissue for biopsy to make sure it is not cancer. Every mole of a size more then 0.5 cm is a suspect (even if it is round and nice color). Small moles when removed do not leave a big scar, after a year or so scar is undetectable. I do not see a reason to get a small mole removed.
It is a big moles that give a scar problem. IMO every mole that is big and you want to remove it need to be examined for the possible cancer.

Bottom line - I would not do it. I had many moles removed from my body and they were all done in dermatologyst office and all sent for biopsy.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I've had a few moles removed and all of them healed without significant scar tissue. The one that "grew back" turned out to be cancerous (only after it had grown back; the first biopsy was benign). My opinion is that if a mole is big enough to be removed, it really warrants being looked at by a dermatologist.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE have them biopsied. I had 2 moles taken off and 1 was malignant melanoma. Just a dark mole thank goodness it was caught early I just have a 4 inch scar but it was much better than it spreading. I ended up having 10 taken off total. I had everything that REMOTELY could look odd taken off. FYI I had a plastic surgeon do mine he did minimize the scaring greatly! I just called and said I want some moles taken off and they scheduled the appt!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Go to a good dermatologist to have them removed. Many dermatologists still use scalpels to do their biopsies. Find a dermatologist that shaves them off instead. It seems to make a huge difference in how the end result will look. It's definitely worth it to have them all sent to the lab. I've seen what looked exactly like skin tags, come back as basal cells, you just never know. And the sooner it's treated, the prettier your skin will stay. Everyday I have to help in surgery, removing large melanoma's from people's bodies (mostly the face). That is so much worse than the tiny scar that you'll get from a shave. Plus if they're really small enough, them might just freeze or laser them off anyways. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does insurance cover to have them removed? Does it matter that we are both in our early 20s? What about small ones that have never changed? Do we actually need all of them checked?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Insurance has covered me and DH to get moles removed. DH had a basal cell carcinoma on his nose The doctor's office has a special surgeon do some procedure (Moh's or something??) to remove it and he billed our insurance company $2500!!
: I don't think the insurance paid him that much but they did pay for it and we only had to pay a $25 copay. Very thankful for that!b

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Isurance covers everything. You age does not matter. Good doctor MUST check everything (he might skip private parts and refer you to OB for that but he must check breasts). And if he does not - find another one right away. He will tell you if you need to remove anything and whats priorities are. And - someone posted that he had them removed by plastic surgent. I did that too - since he is both dermatologyst/plastic surgent. As for scars - different people have different reactions to the cut and some people are plane prone to scarring. Moreover, in one place you can have no scar at all and in the other (done at the same time, same doctor) you might have a big scar. You can not predict the outcome. THere are good laser techniques to reduce the scar tissue but on some places of my body they failed me and on some they worked wanders. But I am alive and I do not care that I have a few scars. Laser was covered by my insurance too.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by notyetamommy View Post
Does insurance cover to have them removed? Does it matter that we are both in our early 20s? What about small ones that have never changed? Do we actually need all of them checked?

I am just seeing bills from mine. Mine is paying 80% and my surgeon participates in my plan so it is a reduced rate. Of the $3000ish to remove 10 moles and to have the excisional biopsy 2.5cm in all directions around the melanoma I have $200 out of pocket. The bulk ( 2500 ) was for the surgery.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Isurance covers everything. You age does not matter. Good doctor MUST check everything
Really? I recently inquired about having some moles removed for cosmetic reasons (derm. said they didn't look suspicious), and was told that insurance will not pay unless they look suspicious. Is this true? Maybe I should go see a different doctor.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I had a mole removed and it only cost my $25 co-pay plus some lab fees. They did it right there in the office the same day I went in for a consult.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I work for a pretty big dermatology practice right now, so I see a lot of moles get removed every day.

Dermatologists will normally only remove moles that are suspicious looking or ones that are really irritating to you. Another thing they do, is only remove a few at a time if possible. Insurance companies pay less and less for each mole removed at each visit. So by the 5th mole, the doctors pretty much removing it for free. So if they think it can wait, they'll just tell you to come back in six months for a skin check (then they magically find more to remove at that visit). So pester your doctor to do as many as possible during the initial visit if it's a dermatologist you're seeing for this (plastic surgeons may be a different story).

Insurance may or may not cover everything, that varies by the company. But age is never a variable.

Quote:
Good doctor MUST check everything (he might skip private parts and refer you to OB for that but he must check breasts)
Not really true, they have to give you the option of a full body check. But if you only want say your arms checked, they won't insist on seeing more unless you have a past history of skin cancer, excess sun exposer, or are of an older age.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
Really? I recently inquired about having some moles removed for cosmetic reasons (derm. said they didn't look suspicious), and was told that insurance will not pay unless they look suspicious. Is this true? Maybe I should go see a different doctor.

this is why your insurance won't cover it, you need to always say that you are concerned about the color/shape/size of the mole and would like it removed to get it covered by insurance. Insurance never pays for cosmetic procedures. I work for a Dermatopathology Laboratory in the billing dept. Insurance has no problem paying for moles if it is in-network, part of your plan, etc. All insurances are different. You could always call your insurance to see if they will cover it before you go. They do give some slight trouble over scar removal and skin tags but just have your dermatologist give medical records to back it up and it shouldn't be a problem. I see so much cancer and pre-cancer come thru that I really recommend visiting the dermatologist rather than another removal method and I agree to go to a plastic surgeon. Always express your concerns to the doctor too so they understand!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.