Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mom got to be a SAHM.

She seems to be trying to over compensate for that fact. '

Today she picked up DD from DCP to take her to my sister's swim meet. I went out of my office to loan my mom the camcorder. DD was in the car, so I talked to her and cooed at her in her car seat. Mom said that DCP said that Syd would likely just sleep, "so I won't be missing anything, anyway".... GRRRRRRRRRR

I am conflicted about working. I have to work, and love working, but would like to be a SAHM. However, when I was on bedrest, which I know is not a true comparision, I was BORED to tears and missed my coworkers and clients.

My mom has said other things like "It was good you went back to work 2 weeks after hainng Sydney (by c/s) because you never got used to having her full time." Syd was still in NICU at this point. Then "It's good you have to go back after a week, so she does not get used to you full time." After DD was in NICU for 6 weeks, and I got a week home full time with her, as I used most of my FMLA on bed rest.

Any ideas on what to say? I wish I was more comfortable with this, as I see me working for a long time, and I just might want to keep working. <gasp>

I do feel I'm doing a good job with DD. She is attached to DH and I, and she is wonderful.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I know every mom/daughter relationship is different, but for me and mine, the best way for me to get through when things like are happening is to just talk to her.

Pretending your situation is mine, I would tell her how the comments make me feel and that I don't like hearing them. I would tell her that me and my husband are doing our best and feel good about things and would ask her to stop saying things like that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would agree that you need to talk with her if you think that she would be receptive, because if you don't, this will just build up and make you miserable. She is wrong to say things like that, but she may not even realize how much she is hurting you. Good luck!

J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts