Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.columbian.com/news/localN...6news44812.cfm

Quote:
Vancouver mom arrested for leaving kids in hot car

Friday, July 21, 2006
By JOHN BRANTON, Columbian Staff Writer

Police say a 36-year-old woman earned a trip to the Clark County Jail on Friday by leaving her sons, 6 and 9, in her vehicle in 96-degree heat while she shopped in the Target store in Fisher's Landing.

Christine Lemley of Vancouver was arrested on suspicion of reckless endangerment, according to a bulletin from the Vancouver Police Department.

Police, firefighters and AMR Northwest ambulance medics were called to the store at 16200 S.E. Mill Plain Boulevard about 12:50 p.m. Friday after witnesses called 911. The boys had been in the car at least 15 minutes.

Although the car's rear windows were partially rolled down, it wasn't parked in a shady area.

Medics gave the boys something to drink and took them inside an ambulance to cool off. They were beginning to show signs of overheating but weren't seriously hurt, police said.

People and pets left in cars on hot days can die from heat exposure.
This woman was just on our news saying how absurd it was to be arrested over this, how the boys were fine, she wasn't going on some "huge" shopping trip, blah blah blah.
:

Over the weekend I stayed in our vehicle while DH ran in the store. It was 100 degrees and I couldn't even turn off our vehicle for 60 seconds without it getting up to 110 (in the shade).
:

Another story with a bit more info: http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie...n.cf848ca.html

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
This is the city I live in. And it's freaking hot just walking outside. I wouldn't want to be shut in a car for any amount of time in this heat. And this is unusual heat for us here.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
UGg, that is right across the street from DH's work. And it was hotter than hell Friday. It ended up being like 105 or something.

I don't understand how and why people justify their stupid behavior when it endangers their children.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
that is nuts. it happens here a lot. i don't think a 6 and 9 yo should be left unattended in public, much less in a hot car. 15 minutes is a long time!

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
Tina, I had no idea you lived so close!
We are about 30-45 minutes from DH's work. We are originally from California so that is a "short" commute.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothragirl
that is nuts. it happens here a lot. i don't think a 6 and 9 yo should be left unattended in public, much less in a hot car. 15 minutes is a long time!
I dont know about here but in California it is illegal to leave a child under the age of 6 in car by themselves or with a child younger than the age of 12.

http://www.ci.laguna-niguel.ca.us/co...ew.asp?DID=527

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't know you two lived there (ani and dreams) lived there.
I'm in Portland, so not exactly "close" anyway.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Her head on a stick! String her up and tear her limb from limb! Persecute! Persecute!

Just wanted to get that out of the way. Okay, well, I bet she learned from this. If not, I pity her. But I bet she learned from this. And her kids are okay. Thank God for that.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Thank goodness her kids are okay! She should have KNOWN better! At 36! She should still be in jail, I agree! How could anyone possibly think it's okay to do that! In a 96 degree day! Those poor children. I feel so bad for them.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I'm not normally the devil's advocate for this kind of thing, but should she really be in jail for what might be her one and only mistake? Wouldn't a slap on the wrist, and a warning be enough? It sure would be for me!

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthea™
I'm not normally the devil's advocate for this kind of thing, but should she really be in jail for what might be her one and only mistake? Wouldn't a slap on the wrist, and a warning be enough? It sure would be for me!
If she learned her lesson it might be. But she was complaining that she didn't see what the problem was. The boys didn't have shoes, they didnt want to go in the store, and they had squirt guns anyway. This leaves me to believe she would do this again if she didn't think she would get caught.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthea™
No. She should be burned alive! That will set an example for all the other selfish mothers out there, just waiting for an opportunity to do the same thing! (snark)

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Ok, another Devil's Advocate here:

These boys were 6 and 9 years old. Certainly old enough to open the car door, close it behind them, and walk into Target looking for Mom. It's not like she left a 2yo in a carseat who coudn't unbuckle himself. These boys were not hurt- they did NOT require medical care. I'm not sure how much longer the woman planned on shopping- but chances are the children would have still been fine if she'd checked out her purchases and returned to the car 5 minutes later.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
The same thing happened here, only it was a 96 year old woman. The woman's daughter and granddaughter locked her in the car for almost an hour paramedics estimate. The woman was very, very ill, and almost died.

The two now face a couple charges. Any sympathy I felt for them disappeared when they said that people should have minded their own business! Their mother and grandmother almost died, and they think people should have minded their own business. If people had minded their own business, the woman would have died.

Call me crazy, but I would be grateful if someone ended up saving my relative's life, veen if it ultimately got me in trouble.

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Any parent should know better than to leave children in any car. Am I the only one who has read of the deaths caused by kids shifting a car into/out of gear and either running over someone else or getting hit themselves?

And then to compound it with being a hot day? I don't think jail will fix/help her... or her children. I don't have any idea what would. But her thought process is way beyond me!

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
it's illegal here to leave a child unattended in a car, specifically because of the heat. And yes she should have known better. Kids sadly die fairly often from this sort of thing.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
6 & 9? These kids are old enough to get out of the car if they are too hot. A 9 year old can't cross a parking lot with a six year old?

They aren't a helpless 96 year old woman or infant. I'm guessing the charge won't stick.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts