Mothering Forum banner

Mom, stop disprespecting my choices!

891 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  NettleTea 
I always think you need to tread carefully with grandparents. Even if you aren't intending to, she may interpret your comments as putting down HER parenting choices, assuming you were raised eating meat, watching television, and playing with plastic toys. She might be very hurt that how she raised her children, is not "good enough" for yours.

Plus, it is her house. I don't really think you can go there and then be upset that she has the tv on. She is correct in that she gets to do what she wants in her own house... you just have the freedom to decide whether or not you want to visit.

I totally believe that people should be free to parent however they want, but I also don't believe that anyone should expect other people to bend over backwards accomodating them either. For me, I would be willing to put up with some television and plastic toys at Grandma's house in the spirit of family harmony.

I too hope that you can come to a more peaceful place with your mom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.