Mothering Forum banner

Mom, stop disprespecting my choices!

891 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  NettleTea 
I think the problem here is balance.

In the OP's shoes, I would be upset that my parenting choices were being undermined. I've put a lot of thought into each one, and I feel that they're best for our family. This is how we prefer to live and I don't appreciate being put down for it!

In her mother's shoes, I would be upset that here's this person telling me what I can and cannot do and have in my home. If I want plastic toys around, I'm not going to hide them from one grandchild whose parents prefer natural. That's absurd. So is getting mad that I have my tv on! It's MY house - whatever happened to the 'when in Rome' custom? So frustrating that she can't respect MY home and ME but expects me to bend over for HER!

There's a lot of love for your child, OP. It's just shown in different ways, but it all comes down to the same - what is 'best'. I think the tug of war you and your mom are having is not optimal, though. Some things have to be relaxed on so that the big issues and non-negotiables can be taken seriously and not fall into the nit-picking litany of complaints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.