Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>*sigh*  I don't know if I am out of line, or if my mom is being super sensitive and reading into things that aren't there...  I have been vegetarian for 14 years.  My husband has been for 6 and my kids (1 and 3) since birth.  My mom has always been very accomodating when we go to visit.. I tell her not to go to any trouble, we will bring veggie burgers or whatever so they aren't inconvenienced with our "special diet".  We have a meat-free house and have for 7 years now.  She came to visit for 4 days to help me out as I have been having some issues with depression and sleep deprivation.  She and I had a discussion yesterday on how I am always pushing my "religion" on her (she feels that I am so wrapped up in vegetarianism that it is a religion for me and all I can think about).  I have never EVER pushed her to not eat meat- we ask that she respects our meat-free house but if we order takeout, if it isn't on our plates or in our pots and pans, fine. She can eat it.  We don't tell her what to eat, in fact the only time we even talk about vegetarian food is if we are discussing what to have for dinner.  We don't ever discuss factory farming, battery cages, etc in her presence.  I don't know if she feels guilty, or what... but DH just called and told me that my mom gave him an earful about how us not allowing DD to eat meat is as bad as them forcing me to eat it when I was a kid.  I was floored.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How is it the same???  Or am I totally wrong?  I seriously can't think of an occasion where I have disrespected her food choices. We have stuck by our beliefs and would like to have our choices maintained in our house.  Is that out of line?  As I said, if it is take out, she can eat whatever she wants. Maybe she doesn't "get it".  This happened right when she got pretty animated talking to me about her religion and how I need to believe what she believes and I will be so much happier.  I told her I am glad her religion and faith has helped her in her life.. I didn't talk about my beliefs or bashed hers in any way.  I think because I am not open to her religion, she got defensive.    Has anyone dealt with this? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry, i just realized that doesn't have a whole lot to do with vegetarianism but I wanted to see how others have handled it.  Thanks!</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
86 Posts
<p>You already know that you're not the one out of line! This is just another milgb..mother in law gone bad. I think it's just hard for them to accept when we do something different b/c it feels like a judgment on their decisions (even though we're not trying to impose our decisions on them!) Just be consistent, as long as you and hubby agree, everyone else will get over it. Perhaps extended stays should be at a nearby hotel! :)</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts