Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My diapers stink!! I just got a new Whirlpool Duet about 3 weeks ago, and now my diapers are getting smellier and smellier.

I have been doing a cold prewash, then washing on the sanitary cycle with a bit of detergent and baking soda. Followed by an extra sanitary cycle (because there isn't a setting for a hot rinse.)

Last night I did an auto soak, then a sanitary cycle with an autosoak, followed by another sanitary cycle. In the first wash cycle I put in baking soda, detergent, borax, and some vinager in the fabric softener tray. The diapers smell clean comming out of the dryer, yet when dd wets, her diapers smell poopy so this isn't just a smelly hemp problem. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I don't know how Duets are compared to Kenmores (what I have) but my diapers eventually get stink unless I add extra water. It is a pain but there is just not enough water to circulate through the thick and dense layers.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
What detergent are you using? How much? What is a sanitary cycle?
We have a Maytag front loader...here's what I do...
presoak dipes in pail w/water & few drops essential oil
do a cold rinse first
then a warm cycle with 1/2 cap of Sunlight for sensitive skin
then do a hot/warm (there is no hot/hot) cycle
then an extra rinse
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
FYI, here is what I did with my duet(though I had the basic one, not the one with the built in heater)
rinse off any dirties
cold soak for about a minute or 2 to let the diapers soak up water(this does the same thing as adding water to the wash but without having to lug a bunch of water around)
HOT wash with bs and TTO in the detergent compartment, and nothing else
I did this for months with no smells and every once in a while did DA

we got a different washer(moms choice because we basically got screwed by the power company on our duets) but anyway I now do the same routine with my top loader and still no problems
cold rinse
HOT wash with bs and TTO
we've had the top loader for about 2 months now

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aniT
How did the power company screw you on your washer and dryer?
ohh gosh long story, but basically after a year of monthly payments we still owed MORE for the set than they cost new

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I hate that. After 2.5 years of making house payments we only paid off $1,500.
: so we sold the house and move out of state. Which is how I came to be able to afford the Duet. I hope I can work the smell problem out because I really like the washer for everything else. Although I noticed that if I miss prespotting something it doesn't come out the first time around.

I think I will try soaking them before washing. It makes sense that they soak up all the water. After several other's meantioned they washed their soakers on the wool cycle I tired it. 10 minutes into the cycle I got a error. I looked up the number in the book and it was a low water error. The wool had soaked up ALL the water! Maybe I should try soaking them first as well.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Quote:

The wool had soaked up ALL the water! Maybe I should try soaking them first as well.
LMBO that is funny! try adding the water and if that doesnt help try stripping them...

i know exactly what smell you are talking about because we had that once while we still had the front loader... Im not sure what I did to fix it, but it went away... Im pretty sure it was when I started doing the soak, cause thats the only thing i can think of I changed while doing the no detergent thing

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've only done diapers in a front loader. All we have here in Germany. We also have really hard water, so this might make a difference in how detergent washed out.

But this is my experience -

- doing a cold pre-wash without detergent made the smell and stains worse
- not adding extra water (have forgotten to push the button sometimes) makes the smell worse
- not use the really fast spin cycle makes the smell worse
- adding detergent to the main cycle was also a no-no

So this is what I do -

I set the machine on a hot wash with pre-wash, extra water and fast spin cycle. Detergent gets added only to the pre-wash. And I let it run through. If I feel like it, I add the vinegar in the fabric softener compartment, but this hasn't really done much for me, or maybe my random vinegar use is just right

·
Registered
874 Posts
We battled a lot of stink issues with our front loader. They would smell fine coming out of the wash but stank after they were dry. I now put my soap (about 3-4 tablespoons) in the first auto soak cycle and then put the baking soda in the wash. Reducing the soap and putting the soap first has helped a lot! I think that because the soap goes first it has that much more time to rinse out. I would try stripping your diapers or wash them with no soap for the next few cycles and then try putting the soap in first.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I also put soap in first, run a cold wash with autosoak. Then a hot wash with extra rinse, no soap. Depending on your water you may be better not using baking soda or vinegar (if you are) for a while and see if it helps. There definitely seems to be more refining of washing processes with a fl. How big are your loads? Every day, every other day???

·
Registered
228 Posts
Haven't been at this long - but we have the Duet and we had to fight buildup issues...this is what I found to work for us:

I do a quick wash cold/cold no detergent - if I don't do this then poo stains remain...but when I do no poo stains!

Then I do the Whitest Whites setting (or the sanitary if I need super hot water) and I do a prewash and and extra rinse. I use about a teaspoon or two of detergent (right now Gain HE), add a bit of Dawn, and I add about 5-6 drops of TTO to the PREWASH compartment.

We don't have stink (I use mostly hemp) and we don't have buildup at the moment. I think the secret was cutting down on detergent for me and adding it in the prewash.

Good luck, I find next to night diapering, this is the most complicated part of cloth diapering!! But they are SO darn cute

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Front loaders seem to create a love/hate relationship!!

I am battling hemp stink too. Right now I am experimenting with adding extra hot water thru the detergent compartment with a hose hooked to the washtub. Some say it is bad for the machine, and some say it isn't. But the stink is driving me nutty! We have a water softener set on a lower setting, which may be part of our problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I've been washing cloth diapers for a year now in my Duets. I had the battle of the skunky diapers at first. Then I figured out that the diapers were so absorbant that they were not rinsing. So, I add water (HOT).

My wash routine:

cold wash, nothing added (sometimes baking soda, but we a water softener and I think that the baking soda does not like the conditioner salt)

Hot wash, add water until they slosh around. Not up the the level of the door or higher as that will set off a sensor and the washer will drain.

Then I add my 15 drops of tea tree oil and 1-3 TEASPOONS of Tide HE (depending on the load size)

I set it for Whitest Whites but take the extra rinse off. So it is set for 50 minutes. I come back when it fills at the 30 minute level and add water, too. And then I repeat that step at the 20 minute level. Depending on the suds at that point, I may do an extra rinse when they are finished. A flashlight is a handy thing to keep around the washer so that you can see through the door better. Also, pull back that rubber flap to make sure that no doublers or wipes get in there and prevent your suds from draining well.

I have an extra set of washer hoses hooked up to my washer hookups just to add water. The Duets do a great job. I don't have stink, I don't have stains, and the diapers are not stressed because of an agitator.

I dry them on timed dry for 99 minutes on MEDIUM heat. I wash about 20 fitteds at a time. Don't dry on the sensor settings because they won't dry well enough.

HTH,
Kim

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Those who are adding water to their front loaders, just a word of caution it can damage your washer since they are only meant to contain so much water.

OP you have gotten some excellent advice

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I think it's really an individual thing that takes trying different things. I have a HE3t which is the same as the Duet model with the internal heater. I think the big factor really is the water.

I have found that if I were to add Baking Soda or Vinegar then I had stink problems. We're on well and even though we have major filtration systems...we have lots of minerals in our water and it tends to be hard water.

I tried adding water (because I thought maybe there was a problem there that I wasn't seeing) and it didn't do anything...it wasn't necessary in our case.

I use Tide Free powder - just a tiny amount. I typically will put it in the prewash and do a sanitary cycle with the prewash and the 2nd rinse added...but I do different things at different times. Sometimes I use the whitest whites cycle or whatever too. Recently I tried the HE liquid detergent and the Tide Free liquid thinking maybe liquid would be better or that the HE would be better and I couldn't stand either one.

Today I am doing a cold rinse first and then the Sanitary...but who knows how that will go.

I really should leave well enough alone since I haven't been having any problems! I think I get worried about things that I don't need to be worrying about because I see so many threads with people having problems with their front loaders LOL.

To the OP - you described what you did last night...what have you been doing on a regular basis?

It might work better for you if you do smaller loads too. Hang in there - you'll get a system that works for you!~

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
To the OP - you described what you did last night...what have you been doing on a regular basis?
As I said, I have only had these 3 weeks so I was doing the same as I was with my toploader. A cold prewash, no detergent, hot wash with about 1/4 capfull liquid ecover, then because there was no hot rinse option and extra hot wash.

It hasn't been working with the front loader. I also switched back to all because I have been using it for years and DH was having some sensitivity problem we decided came from detergent, plus I thought I needed an HE detergent for the frontloader.

I don't normally use borax or vinager, but I read on another thread when I did a search that it helped others so I thought i would give it a try, but it didn't help here.

To the poster that had the extra water option. I don't have one.
That would be so nice to be able to add extra water to the machine. Thanks for your advice everyone. I will be giving it a try.

Oh yea and I wash every other day. How do you know if you have hard or soft water? I have never been able to tell the difference, plus I just moved to another state so maybe that could be the problem with my wash routine as well.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Quote:

I thought I needed an HE detergent for the frontloader.
You don't really need an HE soap. Its my understanding that HE soap is just a low sudsing soap and I think you will find the same results with a "cheapo" soap. We use Surf. I only use 3-4 tablespoons of soap for ALL of my laundry. I do find I have to prewash my clothes more than I did with my top loader otherwise the stains won't come out though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.