Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what my 4yo asked me the other day. I told him he is his own teacher. He said a kid can't be a teacher cuz then there wouldn't be any students. I told him he teaches me all the time. I also told him he has all the wisdom he'll ever need inside himself right now. He contemplated that for a while.<br><br>
It occurred to me yesterday that anyone can be his teacher. At any given time he can decide to learn from anyone he meets. So, everyone is his teacher.<br><br>
A friend of my 17yo ds asked him if I homeschool our kids. He told her I unschool. When asked, he said he didn't know what it meant. The other day he decided he wanted to make a tattoo gun. He went about watching video instructions on Youtube and even made one out of a motor from an old clock radio using a pencil as a solder gun. I told him that was what unschooling is.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
We too have had a week of independence from teachers and an acceptance of learning from everyone.<br><br>
I was at work with the girls when a woman asked dd if she was old enough to go to school yet. She replied that she wasn't going to go to school ever, ever ever and that she teaches herself all by herself. She then proceeded to tick off on her fingers the things she has learned lately.<br><br>
The woman looked surprised but had no response to that other than that it sounded great.<br><br>
Yesterday we met an older lady on her bicycle riding on a track where we were walking. She had to slow down because we were crouching down watching a spider wrapping up one of its victims in thread and were blocking the gateway. She stopped and wondered at it with us then said that she thought that kind of spider used to be called a cob spider in Old English and that is where the word 'cobweb' comes from. We haven't looked anything up to verify this or not but it was great that she shared with us.<br><br>
Dd also told me today that she thinks that Grandma (MIL) might know things but she is keeping them secret from her whereas Nanny (my Mum) knows lots and shares lots of new things with her.<br><br>
I love that she is aware that she can find out things from anyone and that lots of people are happy to share their thoughts and knowledge with her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts