Mothering Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi moms :)

I'm a mother of a one-year-old child, and I have to say the first few months KILLED me, when I've been woken up SO MANY TIMES to check my baby's temperature, just to make sure he's not crying because of fever...

So this experience inspired me to develop sth new.

It's a smart thermometer for babies, just a small patch under the armpit.
It's accurate to 0.09˚F, has real-time remote monitoring with temp alert connected to your phone.
I guarantee (tested, verified and certified!) that this tiny patch (so small, size of a stamp) is non-allergic, medical-grade material and definitely will not be itchy.

This idea came up because I had a really troublesome experience with my son (prone to any kind of small infections).
So my husband and I have been paranoid about checking his temp. And those sleepless nights--FELT LIKE FOREVER...

so when he's finally calming down a bit, my hubby (a geeky engineer) decided to make sth of our own.
We've collaborated with his geeky-father-league, and finally come up with this idea:

Ok, the whole startup thing was INSANE.
And now we've got confirmation from manufacturers, and have been contacted by some distributors.
But we need to prove ourselves, that it IS a good product.

We need some support.
I guarantee that subscribers and early backers will get discounts, as much as 30% off from retail price.
Please help me fund this, make smart thermometer happen!

Or you have any suggestions, plz let me know!
we'll be fixing it to make a better product.

Love to you all.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Ok, so I am the least techy person in the world but isn't having a wifi device attached to a baby something of a safety concern?

Also, if my baby is crying I don't think, "oh well, they don't have a fever" and roll over and go back to sleep. If they're crying, I'm awake and responding regardless of the cause, so I'm afraid a device like that isn't going to save me any sleep at all really. Sorry :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I am the least techy person in the world but isn't having a wifi device attached to a baby something of a safety concern?

Also, if my baby is crying I don't think, "oh well, they don't have a fever" and roll over and go back to sleep. If they're crying, I'm awake and responding regardless of the cause, so I'm afraid a device like that isn't going to save me any sleep at all really. Sorry :)

@katelove
Hi, thanks for your comments.

I can assure you that safety issue is not a concern.
It's actually a bluetooth sensor in the patch, and it's been tested (now applying for FDA approval) as medical device.

About crying-fever issue.
Well of course, I believe any parent would rush to their baby once they started crying.
But for me and my husband, we had to set alarms to wake ourselves up every night just to check his temperature.
So having a real-time alert, hearing my phone buzz or not, will be a great indicator whether I need to wake up or not.
Cuz my son had been in/out emergency room for the tiniest issue, I feel like detecting fever (and not to have to wake him or myself up) is a great deal.

Thanks for the chance for me to clear things up!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Hmm. That is one infant issue I have never even thought about. Is it common to be concerned about a baby's temperature, assuming they're not known to be sick?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. That is one infant issue I have never even thought about. Is it common to be concerned about a baby's temperature, assuming they're not known to be sick?
@ newmamalizzy

thanks for the comment.
Well, actually doctor advised us to keep a constant watch on baby's temp.
They're prone to any kind of infections, and some 12% may indicate serious bacterial infections.

We created this because we don't want to wake the kid (or ourselves) up every few hours at night to check his temp when he was feeling unwell.
It'd be a great help if I can just get an alarm when temperature hit a fever threshold.

Thanks for the comment!
If anyone's interested, we are offering a free trial campaign.
We want to spread the word!

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
This sounds like fear mongering to sell a product to me. I have been an ED nurse and a midwife for a long time now and I can tell you that you do not need to constantly monitor a well baby's temperature.

Certainly babies can and do get sick but it would be very rare for a baby to become more than very mildly unwell without there being some other indication. At which point the parent could take their temperature. Babies do not usually sleep peacefully whilst spiking dangerous fevers.

And, as the majority of parents on this forum bed-share or room share, I'm sure they will be aware pretty quickly if their child becomes unwell.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I've been thinking more about this. Does the patch measure skin temperature or core temperature? How? Is it an infrared sensor?

Have you published your research? Could you please provide a link so we can read it. I looked at your website but I couldn't find any info posted there.

Also, is this the article on which you based your 12% stat?

http://pediatrics.aappublications.o...000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR:+No+local+token

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmmnnnn, I'm new to the forum, and am sourcing EVERYTHING that may be useful for my upcoming baby! :)
But, isn't this product similar to TempTraq, FeverSmart kind?

This looks interesting if it's reusable and comfortable to wear.
I guess it'd be helpful when a baby's got a fever, and parents would like to follow up the condition for a few more days.

But again, I'd like to know how the thermometer sensor works as well.
I heard that ear thermometers are not really accurate...
Argh, babies not even born yet, and I'm worried abt EVERYTHING.

(and the whole deprived sleep thing scared me so much).

·
Registered
243 Posts
There seem to be multiple wearable thermometers out there for babies, such as Vicks, Sproutling, and Mimo, and some of them not only record temperature, but also notify the parent of movement and several other aspects. What is it about your product that makes it better? On your website, you mention that 5% of children suffer from febrile seizures. Febrile seizures from fever while scary, are not harmful and cause no lasting damage to a child. Fever is actually a good thing that scares many parents. Now while fever in a newborn is definitely cause for high concern, babies are up multiple times a night for feeding, and any parents would certainly notice a fever in their child during one of their many night wakings.

Perhaps a product like this would be good for a child who has a medical condition that makes fevers common or more dangerous?

I refer you and other parents to be, to this wonderfully useful thread on fevers by a pediatric emergency nurse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Parenting/comments/3uv9jh/on_fever_and_children/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks for all your suggestions! It's great advice for us to further develop our product!
Although I'm only the accountant to this project, I've passed on your concerns to our tech designer.
by the way, I've taken the figures from online articles like: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23937512

The idea started because we had to take our son to the doctors ever so often, so the doctor suggested us to watch his temp every few hours.
It's really difficult, especially at midnights, having to wake him up to take the temp, and apparently he does not like ear thermometers.

So the idea of our product,
is for children, who may be having a fever, or just recovered from one, to keep a temp log.
In case of fever relapse, and to know the kids' condition during, and shortly after, their disease/fever condition.

Also, it'd be helpful for parents of toddlers.
When the kid is just recovered from fever, and parents were still worried abt his/her condition, but had to send to daycare,
parents can watch/monitor/be alerted to the kids condition on smartphone, via temp pal cloud service.

It is made of medical grade thermoplastic, and it's been tested that it can be worn overnight.
Female trying to conceive can also use this patch to record their body temperature chart.
In the past, I had to get up in early mornings to take the temperature.
But with Temp Pal, just wear it overnight, smartphone/sensor will automatically map/chart the temp.

Thank you all for your advice!
It's really valuable to receive feedbacks from you.
We are confident that our product/support is strong. Especially that our product is reusable, unlike one-off temple thermometers.
I can guarantee our product is very affordable (comparing to our competitors), but we need to prove ourselves to manufacturers.

Thank you all.
We really hope to get the word out.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Ok, that was 12% of infants *hospitalised* not 12% of infants who had a fever. That is a very significant difference.

Also, that small study was only looking at infants less than 3mo. You cannot extrapolate that data to other age groups.

I don't know what was wrong with your son but I will say it is extremely rarely that we would advise parents to wake a child to take their temperature. If they are well enough to be at home then they are well enough not to need that kind of observation. Even in ED we don't usually wake kids to do obs.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Hmmnnnn, I'm new to the forum, and am sourcing EVERYTHING that may be useful for my upcoming baby! :)
But, isn't this product similar to TempTraq, FeverSmart kind?

This looks interesting if it's reusable and comfortable to wear.
I guess it'd be helpful when a baby's got a fever, and parents would like to follow up the condition for a few more days.

But again, I'd like to know how the thermometer sensor works as well.
I heard that ear thermometers are not really accurate...
Argh, babies not even born yet, and I'm worried abt EVERYTHING.

(and the whole deprived sleep thing scared me so much).

Tympanic thermometry is the most accurate non-invasive temperature monitoring but most of the sensor heads are too big for babies younger than about 6-9mo. For young babies we use digital thermometers in the armpit. It is accurate enough for most purposes, easy to do, reasonably well tolerated most of the time and has limited potential to cause injury.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My baby slept on me from the first day of her life. I was regulating her body temperature apart from being immediatly aware if something was wrong..I love technology, my husband is a geek too but not when it comes down to these kind of stuff. :)

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Isn't this sort of advertising illegal on MDC? Shouldn't the mods take this stuff off? Personally, I'm really not interested in any one fear mongering and tying to sell me yet another worthless piece of equipment.

I've flagged other obvious advertisements and seen nothing done.

Frustrated.

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
I removed the links to the product and the name of the product because we do not allow advertising on Mothering unless you are an official Advertiser. I left the discussion because it seemed that members wanted to discuss the concept and necessity of a product like this. The discussion is engaging and useful. The product may not be.
@Xerxella I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated. We do check the reports you and other members send and we do remove advertising regularly. Some threads are deleted completely so you will not see them again. Feel free to PM me if you have any concerns.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Thanks @pokeyac

You guys do a great job. I just had a moment.

Reactions: pokeyac
1 - 16 of 16 Posts