Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

· Premium Member
17,040 Posts
Hi!

Life here = Super crazy.

We live in Baltimore, MD now.

Dh accepted a job offer in Syracuse, NY. They want him to start work on September 14th. The plan is for him to go up ahead of us and the kids and I to follow on October 1st. This means quitting my childcare business, leaving everyone we know and starting basically a whole new life up there. I'm excited and scared.

· Registered
2,416 Posts
Oh my, I actually saw the new thread the same day! And not a week later or so. *impressed with myself*

phathui5, good luck!

· Registered
13,743 Posts
Good luck phathui5!!!

Signing up for another month of bulletins from the trenches! Two of mine are back at school today, and the house is shockingly quiet without them.

· Registered
3,052 Posts
phathui5 ~Change can be good yeah? Is being close to the Adirondaks a good thing? I've only seen pictures but the scenery just looks amazing!

Ds1 signed up to do 4 A levels at sixth form today - none of which he really wants to do..... We'll see how that pans out.

We had a small tea and cake party for Frida today for her 3rd birthday. Where does the time go? Her birthday isn't til tomorrow but two of her small friends are due back at school tomorrow so today was their last free day. Where does the time go?

· Registered
1,545 Posts
Hey, lost in action over here. We don't even go to school, so I don't have that excuse lol!

I'm so tired right now, seems like everyone is reacting to the change in weather (such as it is) and having trouble sleeping.

· Premium Member
5,741 Posts

I suppose I am an inconsistent poster. Heck, I can't even consistenly lurk.
:

I don't know how much you all remember of me: midwesterner, homeschool all but dd2 who is in public school 5th grade (her choice), Linus, my littlest, will be 2 tomorrow, dh is a professor whose classes always start on US labor day. I try to knit and run but one obsession usually crowds out theother. lately I have been running. Things are a bit crazy around here but not like they were two years ago.
I recognize most of you ladies from other places on mdc and this thread.

phathui5 - good luck with the move. As a child and parent we always moved after the job started. It seems easier to me excpet for the actual time home without dh.

Ian, ds1, 13 next month, is going on a vacation with another family for 10 days later this week. I am sure I'll miss his help but not his teenage boyness.

· Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
How is homeschooling going for our MOMs?
Can we share tips for homeschooling with many?
Homeschooling is going well. We pretty much unschool so its controlled chaos. THe only thing I really need to follow a procedure on now is math for that soon to be 9 yr old, he is getting ready to start algebra so that is going to take an official 'book' LOL. But with living in AZ and being stuck inside for most of the summer, thats when we do most of our 'school' anyway. I cant wait for the heat to break and get some great outside time again and great field trips again. My kids are dying for the zoo, to explore the parks, the mountains, they want to go to flagstaff etc...

My 6 yr old DD loves reading as well as my 4 yr old.

· Registered
417 Posts
pathui5 good luck with the move...I'm finally adjusting to my "new" home and it has been 2 years!!! I just broke down and got my Ohio resident/license a couple weeks ago...I'd never "not" been an Illinoian my whole life, even while I was in the military, I kept my residency. This was a very emotional transition for me---the permanancy of it all. My kids all like it here though...that makes it okay for me.
On the homeschool issue...I'll be a newbie when it comes to #5. Gonna try it for the first time. My other kiddos all go to public school.

· Registered
2,079 Posts
Homeschool is going well for us. Alder is doing 2nd/3rd grade. So he's learning his times tables.

Banyan is doing Kindergarten, so making sure he knows all his letters and starting with simple words.

I think we've found a house!
:

· Registered
749 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

I suppose I am an inconsistent poster. Heck, I can't even consistenly lurk.
Exactly!! LOL, me too!

We're back to school around here, it's been pretty busy.

· Registered
487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
But with living in AZ and being stuck inside for most of the summer, thats when we do most of our 'school' anyway. I cant wait for the heat to break and get some great outside time again and great field trips again. My kids are dying for the zoo, to explore the parks, the mountains, they want to go to flagstaff etc...

I agree 110% with this. I have to get them up at 6am just to go play out back. Then they announced 2 free zoo tickets every wed with your frys VIP card , but its still over 100!!!

We school waldorf inspired, I have pushed it off long enough and will start school on Tuesday.

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Controlled Chaos, I love it! We say we have Free Range Kids around here! Two teens in public school, seniors and three little ones that are basically unschooled, six, four and two. I unschool because I've seen how wonderfully it works! On weekends we usually end up with at least one extra kid. Add in dogs and cats, yeah, I get the chaos factor!! We just recently spent a day at our local museum of natural history, I plan to make a website or a blog about it, we go all the time, but this time I had an idea to take a ton of pictures then label them all under the heading of what it is we unschoolers do all day, lol! You dont really realize how much it is until you pay attention!

Loving this cooler weather by the way!!

· Registered
419 Posts
Hi, everyone! I would also love to hear any tips anyone has for homeschooling a large family. Only my 8yo is returning to school this fall, so I will have five to homeschool plus a newborn.
:

· Registered
419 Posts
Hi, 1growingsprout. Beth is actually my oldest daughter, I should reformat my sig to make that clearer. I didn't visit MDC for awhile and it ate my old sig for some reason. I just had a baby and was a little out of it when I was formatting my sig.

How old are your double multiples? Always neat to meet another mom who has more than one set.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.