Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to maintain my toddler's daily rhythm of playdates, parkdates, Gymboree, practice preschool, etc. so he won't be resentful of the new baby, I schlepp my 3 month DD everywhere. She's starting to tolerate the car seat (not crying the instant she's in it) and she's happy in the sling so I don't think (or I hope) that the schlepping is affecting her much.

The good news is he's adjusted to having a sister beautifully. He loves her, is very protective and doesn't show any signs of being jealous.

The bad news is I feel so guilty for taking her everywhere. I feel as though she's napping on the go and I feel horrible for waking her when she does nap at home. DD is such a good girl. My mom friends always tease me that they never see her awake bc she's always napping in the sling. Now that she's 3 months I should have some sort of napping routine like I did with DS - but I don't. Not really. I have a vague notion of general times when she naps but nothing real concrete.

I know that saying "let sleeping babies sleep." Should I start doing that and curbing some of DS's activities? Or can I continue what I'm doing? In the afternoon DD will sleep for 3+ hours. I like to let her sleep for at least 2 hours before waking her up to go to the park but I feel so bad (I try for the fast gentle transfer to the carseat so the nap can continue and that only works about 40% of the time). At the same time, DS needs to get out and run around or else he's bouncing off the walls at home. There's only so much I can do with him at home.

Has anyone faced this issue and what have you done?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm facing this issue! Just wanted to let you know there are others in your boat. I haven't found an ideal solution. I just try to do the best I can each day. In the first year, things change so fast that by the time you rearrange schedules to fit better, they change again. It's the second baby syndrome. They get schlepped around.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
See, this is where I'm glad that we're sloths and don't do much in the way of organized activities yet

DS is 2-1/2, DD is 6 weeks. DS doesnt' do any organized activities, we pretty much just do our own thing, so DD's routines won't be affected much I'm sure. I have no plans to put him into anything really structured until next fall for a 2-day pre-preschool program...

However, having said that, since you are in several activities, I'd probably take a few days a week where you curb them for DD's naps, and a few days where you schlepp DD around and keep DS's activities. Kind of accomodate both of them.

JMHO - good luck!!

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
Thankfully when my dd was starting to have a 'set' nap routine, it was December, and not going places, was pretty easy.

Instead of curbing activities we invented new ones.

Of course, the baby still seemed to nap all day long, so after about 2 weeks of that we hoped right back into shlepping the baby along with us. My 4 yr old doesn't nap, so it's never mattered. But now that the baby is almost 11 months old, we stick close to home when we have a car. We'll use the car either first thing in the morning, or at a naptime (long drive) so she'll either be wide awake, or fall asleep before we leave the neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
we're in a similar boat. when dd has a scheduled thing (not too much b/c of summer) then ds will get toted along regardless. If we're at home and he's sleeping then i put off doing any errands or outings until he wakes up. If i know he's going to fall asleep again (which, of course he will. he still sleeps the majority of the day) then i assume he'll sleep wherever we are. In the fall dd will be going to preschool 3 days a week, so we'll see what happens then.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I'm wondering why you feel you should have a nap schedule for your DD if she seems content as things are now?

I think it's wonderful that she spends so much of her day close to you. To me, that's the beauty of slings - we don't have to drop everything for baby - baby comes along happily with access to the only things important to her: warm mama and warm milk

For me, it gets harder as they nap less becasue those one or two naps ARE very important. At 3 mos, I wouldn't worry about it!
sounds like you've got things all worked out for now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Amy!

I don't *have* to get her on a nap schedule... I just figured she'd get more rest that way. She seems to be constantly sleeping so I'm wondering (aka worried) if it's because she's not getting enough sleep. Could be that being snug against momma in a sling puts her in a sling-induced coma though.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I agree with the other mama's...if she is content, then let her be. And for what it is worth, my first born seemed to sleep a lot at that age too and really didn't fall into a schedule until closer to 6 months. He still took 2 two hour naps a day and slept 10 hours at night at 18 months. He was just a very easy going, laid back infant. Consider yourself lucky...it is soooo much easier to have an easy "second" than a high needs one (like me!).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
just lurking looking for advice to, as im in the same boat with ds #2 with no set schedule due to doing stuff mostly in the mornings with #1.
although not too concerned as #2 so laid back he puts up with anything, and doesnt mind being fed or sleeping everwhere and anywhere. Although its taken me a while getting used to using the SNS for feedings in public so much. i stayed a lot closer to home for #1, which is impossile now that have a toddler that goes crazy if we dont get out and about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.