Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did any of you have a decrease in symptoms after you gave birth? I had TERRIBLE periods before I had Harvest and now they are hardly painful at all. I have been having my period for 8 months now. It is very irregular but manageable. It is very nice...however I am sure it wont last. Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Pregnancy is the best treatment for endo. It's not a cure, but can dramatically decrease your symptoms. Pregnancy stops the hormonal fluctuations that the monthly cycle causes.
I have endo, but I am lucky in the fact that I have no pain with it. It just made conceiving a nightmare util I got hopped up on Lupron. DD is thanks to Lupron in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have endometriosis, but haven't had any hormonal problems since I started eating a traditional foods diet (lots of saturated fats, especially raw).

The only downside to this is that I have no clue when my period is coming. Luckily, my flow which used to be a flood with huge dark clots is now manageable with a wad of toilet paper if I'm away from home.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post
I have endometriosis, but haven't had any hormonal problems since I started eating a traditional foods diet (lots of saturated fats, especially raw).
Hmm Interesting. My hormonal problems seemed to ease up when I stopped eating animal products. It is interesting that it was opposit for you.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
Hmm Interesting. My hormonal problems seemed to ease up when I stopped eating animal products. It is interesting that it was opposit for you.
I had moderate hormonal issues in my twenties. I read Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom, which recommended eliminating dairy, red meat (most meats in general) and including soy in the diet to help hormonal problems. It made a lot of sense, since I'm Asian.

I followed this advice, and instead my problems got progressively worse: horrible cramps and PMS, suicidal depression, weight gain. Finally, I ended up with a uterine fibroid, ovarian cyst, and an endometriosis diagnosis. I also started skipping a cycle or two every year.

I didn't get a clue that my diet was a problem until I read Nourishing Traditions. I immediately eliminated soy from my diet, started drinking raw milk (I had shunned most dairy, especially milk since my teens) and eating more eggs and red meat.

Of course, none of these are factory-farm foods, so I think that is the difference. "Experts" who recommend eliminating meat and dairy from the diet seem to have no clue about high-quality animal foods. I'd take their advice with a big grain of salt, especially after my ten-year descent into hormonal hell.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

I didn't get a clue that my diet was a problem until I read Nourishing Traditions. I immediately eliminated soy from my diet, started drinking raw milk (I had shunned most dairy, especially milk since my teens) and eating more eggs and red meat.

Of course, none of these are factory-farm foods, so I think that is the difference. "Experts" who recommend eliminating meat and dairy from the diet seem to have no clue about high-quality animal foods. I'd take their advice with a big grain of salt, especially after my ten-year descent into hormonal hell.
It is really great that you found the diet that worked for you. However, I would have to disagree with you on the animal foods. I personally believe that the less animal fat the better. I used to own Nourishing Traditions but I disagreed with the information in it so I gave it away. Excess animal fats/proteins are one of the major issues in peoples diets today.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Quote:

Excess animal fats/proteins are one of the major issues in peoples diets today.
I think that excess refined, processed vegetable oils and trans-fats, flours and sugars are the major problems with the Standard American Diet.

I don't eat any of these; I'm sure consuming factory-farmed animal protein, especially preserved with nitrates, in combination with these "foods" are the real culprit with health problems.

Fat is necessary in the diet. There's a good reason why some of the most nutrient-dense animals foods, like eggs, seafood, dairy products and liver, also have a lot of fat.

It works synergistically with the vitamins and minerals to help the body absorb the nutrients. Indeed, only animal foods contain the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, and K2 (MK-4).

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

I think that excess refined, processed vegetable oils and trans-fats, flours and sugars are the major problems with the Standard American Diet.
Yes! And excess animal fats and proteins.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Quote:

Yes! And excess animal fats and proteins.
Who really knows for sure what the factors are? There have been no studies done on people who consume a whole-foods omnivorous diet eating exclusively organically-grown and/or grass-fed animals.

OTOH, there are plenty of cultures who have had a high-meat or even an exclusive meat diet and were healthy. That is the value of research done by Weston Price, who documented the great health of non-industrialized peoples before they were exposed to junk foods.

Even according to the raw data supplied by The China Study (as opposed to what Campbell, the author of the book publicizing the study, says is in it), there's negligible statistical correlation between eating meat and cancer mortality.

However, sugar, soluble carbohydrates, and fiber correlate with cancer mortality about seven times the magnitude of that with animal protein. That's pretty scary!

In addition, total fat and fat as a percentage of calories were both negatively correlated with cancer mortality.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to change gears to the endometriosis thing...

Have you ever read the book called The Endometriosis Diet? I have been curious about it for awhile. I do have some books about endometriosis that talk a little about diet but this one seems like it would be a great resource.

Also, do the period cramps get back to the way they were before at some point? Could it possibly be that pregnancy healed me?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Quote:

Have you ever read the book called The Endometriosis Diet? I have been curious about it for awhile. I do have some books about endometriosis that talk a little about diet but this one seems like it would be a great resource.
I did a search on Amazon.com, but it came up with a bunch of titles, and none looked like the one you're talking about.

Dr. John R. Lee's books are pretty good. He doesn't have one specifically about endo., but his tips on achieving hormone balance are helpful (like avoiding skincare products that contain parabens). Here's a link to his site.

Quote:
Also, do the period cramps get back to the way they were before at some point? Could it possibly be that pregnancy healed me?
I've read that pregnancy really helps eliminate endo. symptoms. I don't know about cramps, though. Taking magnesium citrate usually helps women who get cramps and PMS, although I don't know if it'll work for those who have endo. as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My experience has been a lot like yours, vermontgirl. Unfortunately, for me, my periods have gotten progressively worse again as the months went on. I have two kids, and that's been the case both times.

Back when I was in high school I eliminated dairy products, and as a result enjoyed several years of painless (though still pretty heavy) periods. (I was already vegetarian.) It was great to have that improvement for so long, but it didn't last forever like I hoped it would. My freshman year in college I started needing ibuprofen during my period again, and would sometimes miss class because I was lying in bed cramping. It got worse and worse until after I got married and conceived dd.

I've noticed that whenever I would try to add dairy products back into my diet, I would pay DEARLY when my period rolled around that month!!! I would have cramps like I wanted to DIE. So these days our whole family pretty much religiously avoids dairy products except in trace amounts on rare occasaions (like a handful of M&Ms or something). There's no source near here for raw organic dairy, and I can't afford it anyway, so that's something I've never tried. My cycle is just returning these past few months as ds (15 mo) is beginning to wean, and my periods haven't required any ibuprofen yet, but they are getting heavier. I would really like to try eliminating refined grains, refined sugars, and refined vegetable oils. I need to learn more, though. Like, would extra virgin olive oil be okay?? Or is it still "refined"?

So vermontgirl, even though pregnancy didn't seem to cure me of those symptoms, I hope it does for you. My mom also had endo (she had a hysterectomy about 6 years ago), but enjoyed several years of pain-free periods following the births of each of her three kids. So even if it doesn't last forever, it sure is nice to have a break from torturous periods! And really, there ought to be a way to eliminate these symptoms permanently, whether it be through diet or herbs or whatever... I'm just seeking the motivation and faith to try eliminating refined sugar/grains/oils, because I have very high hopes that diet has a lot to do with it. I don't believe we were meant to suffer like this. (I ovulated today, so I'm now anxious and dreading two weeks from now!)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Oh, I should also have mentioned that last month, I cut wayyy down on soy, and that seemed to HELP, although my period was still moderately crampy and pretty heavy. So I'm feeling that processed soy products are probably not so good... Maybe they are for women in menopause, but not for 23-year-old me!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Quote:

Did any of you have a decrease in symptoms after you gave birth? I had TERRIBLE periods before I had Harvest and now they are hardly painful at all. I have been having my period for 8 months now. It is very irregular but manageable. It is very nice...however I am sure it wont last. Anyone else?
My endometriosis was pretty bad before my last pregnancy. I had had surgery, and my doctor told me he couldn't find any endo (although I know that's what I have) so I saw no relief in the future...but of course once I got pregnant the symptoms abruptly disappeared.

And I am happy to say that although I did have a lot of endo-like pain during my time of postpartum bleeding, in general I have very little pain these days (two and a half years later). My pregnancy definitely decreased the severity of my endo, although I'm not sure how!

I should mention though that I was on birth control pills for a year after my last child was born. My endo pain was very slight. After I stopped the pills 1.5 years ago, my endo started to come back--I experienced pretty bad pain with my cycles for about two months. But as my body readjusted after having been on the Pill, the pain subsided, and now I am almost (but not quite) pain free.

I try to eat a lot of natural and organic foods now, and cut back on flour and sugar, and I think this helps too. I was drinking soy milk at the time my endo was worst, and I don't drink it at all any more, which is fine with me because I can't digest it anyway!

So I'm doing all right. Maybe if I have another baby, it will cure it completely?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Are we the only ones here with endo? Hard to believe.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Quote:

As long as I was breastfeeding, my periods were lighter and less painful. As DD began CLW and got down to only one nursing a day, the pain came back, worse than ever. The last 18 months of my life have been sheer hell. I'm at rope's end.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well I'll jump in...I would say I "have" endo, but right now I'm not experiencing any symptoms.
The pain got so bad back in 2000 that all I could eat without having violent cramps was boiled eggs and toast. It was miserable. I had a laparoscopy and it made things better for a grand 3 months or so. Ugh. My doctor tried putting me on birth control pills continuously, but that literally made me INSANE. Luckily, at that point, we were ready to TTC, and I got pregnant with my DD. Early last year, I started having terrible pain, digestion pain, just yuckiness in general. I decided to go full force into the organic world, and I cut out red meat. Immediately I felt such a difference. About 5 months ago, I made the switch to veg*n, and I've never felt so good. It's amazing. I loved eating meat, so in the back of my mind I was kind of hoping that meat wasn't the problem, but it sure is. I know it's different for everyone, but this is what has worked for me. I am trying to switch to veganism, because dairy really bothers my digestion and contributes to my acne problems.

Now my cousin is having severe endo. problems, and I was cruising through the threads here to see if I could find any natural cures for her. She doesn't want to go the surgical or hormonal route if she doesn't have to.

Endo is awful!!!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Mahinas_mommy, changes in diet can be hugely helpful. I dropped dairy, red meat and wheat. In time I found that what really made the difference for me what dropping gluten. My pain is significantly reduced - but it's still off the charts, getting worse every month. I shudder to think how much pain I'd be in had I not made the dietary changes.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I just found this, and I'm glad I did. I've been battling this since my periods started and only got a diagnosis about 3 years ago. My periods also got progressively worse every period after I stopped BF.
Thanks for the diet ideas, I'm going to have to try some when AF comes back and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.