Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This week some of you may have seen the NYTimes article on Big Sugar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/w...mailed&version=Full&src=me&WT.nav=MostEmailed

The sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to play down the link between sugar and heart disease and promote saturated fat as the culprit instead, newly released historical documents show.

The internal sugar industry documents, recently discovered by a researcher at the University of California, San Francisco, and published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine, suggest that five decades of research into the role of nutrition and heart disease, including many of today’s dietary recommendations, may have been largely shaped by the sugar industry.

“They were able to derail the discussion about sugar for decades,” said Stanton Glantz, a professor of medicine at U.C.S.F. and an author of the JAMA Internal Medicine paper.

The documents show that a trade group called the Sugar Research Foundation, known today as the Sugar Association, paid three Harvard scientists the equivalent of about $50,000 in today’s dollars to publish a 1967 review of research on sugar, fat and heart disease. The studies used in the review were handpicked by the sugar group, and the article, which was published in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine, minimized the link between sugar and heart health and cast aspersions on the role of saturated fat.

Even though the influence-peddling revealed in the documents dates back nearly 50 years, more recent reports show that the food industry has continued to influence nutrition science.

Think about the vaccines that were pushed in the 1960s. Think about the ethos of the time. This worked for Sugar and what 'worked for Pharms" is the natural question?

And how is it in play even now? Fifty years later.

Big Sugar. Big Tobacco. Big Pharm.
They make the mafia look like kindergarten

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
We just don't understand that vaccines are different. No one would ever do anything twisty or dishonest with vaccines and if they did all those independent researchers would catch it right away. Plus, of course, there wasn't any money in vaccines.

I think that covers it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
My Mom was a dental hygienist. Went around from public school to public school extolling the ravages of sugar. She is also the same person who saved me and my children from too many vaccines.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
The same thing happened in the dairy industry. That was good marketing. Your tax dollars are now subsidizing milk for everyone. In schools, as part of WIC, in the industry itself. But, that wouldn't happen with vaccines because ... science.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You're all absolutely right.

Because it's been shown to happen in one instance (and found out) it must happen with all things you don't like. That's how evidence and logic works. Except they just can't prove it yet.

Of course.

Reactions: teacozy

·
Registered
8,487 Posts

Because it's been shown to happen in one instance (and found out) it must happen with all things you don't like. That's how evidence and logic works. Except they just can't prove it yet.

Of course.
Respectfully, I think you're missing the point of this thread.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Respectfully, I think you're missing the point of this thread.
I don't think she is. This is the vaccination forum, after all. If the OP is not trying to tie this in with vaccines somehow, it shouldn't be in this forum.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I think the point is that if it can happen with Big Sugar, it can happen with pharmaceuticals (vaccines).

Nothing is untouchable.

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
Several related points.

Science can be manipulated.

The people behind the manipulated science get away with it for many years and never suffer any serious consequences.

Actual harm is done to millions of people. For example, people who followed the dietary guidelines resulting from the manipulated science ended up obese, something that is well known to shorten lifespans, among other unpleasant results.

The scientists who took the money and did the bad science also get away with it. I doubt that their reputations or careers will be or were dented.

Of course, for some reason, none of this could possibly occur with vaccines.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Of course.
Everything I don't like?

What I, if we are going to make this personal, okay, what I don't like is money in the system and corruption and what it does and how it impacts decades later.

That's what I don't like. I thought that was obvious.

Prove what? That tobacco is good for us?
That sugar is good for us? Jesus. That doing a number on fats and faking the stats to protect sugar is Okay? And if this is possible in the 1960s perhaps perhaps it might have been done in Pharms? That is far fetched? Sure.

Speaking of the 1960s.
Why does congenital rubella cause autism? Just asking since the vaccine was born in the 1960's to help stop autism (and other issues) after the rubella out break in 64. Did we ever figure out how it is causes it? Just wondering.

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Reactions: Deborah
1 - 14 of 14 Posts