Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!<br><br>
My kids are attending a fairly new (this is the 3rd year) of a charter montessori. It is really difficult to have a pure montessori at a public charter school.. but what should montessori look like in grades 6, 7, 8? How much instruction vs independent work? What would a typical day look like? Because the kids haven't been in Montessori that long it seems as if they get distracted very easily with the independent work.<br><br>
I'd love to hear what other people's experience is with Montessori in this age group.<br><br>
Thanks, Collette

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well she was in "upper elementary" from ages 9 to 12, which was prety much the same as lower el: a few group lessons, a few individual lessons, a contract with the directress ( although they were called guides then) as to what she'd try to work on each week, lots of individual research projects and group projects. No homework (yay!!). She had a great time!!<br><br>
Then our parent-started charter Montessori was taken over by a for-profit group called Constellation Community Schhols, at which time they "phased out" the Montessori curriculum, and at which point we "phased out" ie left the school for public middle school. Montessori middle school curriculums should IDEALLY be self-directed, with more group than individual lessons, with LOTS of real work. The best example of a Montessori age 12-15 program near us is the Montessori Farm School, a program of the Hershey Montessori School. Unfortunately, it was too far from my house and work to manage a day school enrollment, and we could not afford the boarding school options, but the program there is AWESOME.<br><br>
Sometimes charter schools call themselves "Montessori" and really are, and sometimes they just use the name and offer the same old, same old bullshite workbook test prep crap. beware the latter, they are as soul deadeningas the WORST public schools.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for writing me back. I didn't see your post for a while because I developed a cold soon after I posted.<br><br>
I'd like to ask a few more questions. What sorts of groups projects did the students do? How did the teachers encourage the students to stay on task in the classroom as opposed to socializing?<br><br>
I'm sorry about what happened with your child's school.<br><br>
Collette

1 - 3 of 3 Posts