Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DS attends a private full-day kindergarten -- he's been sick and has missed a lot of school.  The teacher informed me today that he risks not finishing kindergarten just on absences alone, due to county policy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Has anyone been in a similar situation?  Is there a minimum number of attendance days required?  I've only been able to confirm that 5yo must be in kindergarten (or an acceptable alternative).  I imagine the school year has to run so many days as well.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, does half-day kindergarten (5 days/wk) meet the attendance requirement?  The full-day seems too much for DS -- he'd probably be healthier with shorter days.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for any help out there.</p>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<p>fyi, in case anyone needs the information ...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In MC, sick days are considered "excused" with a doctor's note and do not count toward the minimum attendance requirement.  Unexcused ("unlawful") absences exceeding 20% of the school days for the year (about 35 or so days) are considered a violation of MC policy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And it looks like there are half-day private kindergartens in MC, though it's possible they are "church" schools and are exempt from some policies.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Got the documentation now -- will see what exactly the school meant.</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts