Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'm wondering if 1) milk supply goes down when you're on your period, and 2) if the hormones that affect your mood during a normal menstrual cycle also affect your little one?<br>
i started my period when dd was about 22 months, and since then, it always seems like she wants to nurse WAY more when i'm on my period. makes me wonder if there's less milk, and she's trying to amp up my supply.<br>
also, it seems like she is sooooo crabby (more than just the normal for a 2.5 yr old!) right before my preiod.<br>
thoughts???

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am new to all of this, as this is only my 6th month if b'ing-but my supply def dropped when I got AF. It came back thankfully.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Very interesting question. Our bodies are such a mystery! I don't doubt that hormones could be related in some way...<br><br>
I didn't notice a drop in supply (weaned recently, preg again) during af, or change in nursing patterns. Just sore nipples. Youch!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
With ds1, I really noticed a big change around AF, especially once he was over 2 yrs. Just as you say, nursing more frequently, and a crabby mood. I used to say that we had PMS together.<br><br>
The funny thing is that now he's weaned, but I would still swear he gets whiny when I have PMS. I'm sure there's something to that, more than just my perception.<br><br>
I also had feelings of anxiety and heebie-jeebies when nursing him as a toddler, especially during AF. I've heard enough people describe this, that I think it's common and maybe related.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Hm, I wonder if I might be getting a period. I think I noticed some pink on the TP today. I've been way more emotional even than is usual for a postpartum mom, and DD has been nursing like a fiend.<br><br>
If that's what it is, I'll be so excited. I have PCOS and my periods are few and far between...I didn't get one for a year after DS was born, and only after I weaned and started taking metformin. If I ovulated on my own...wow! Maybe kid #3 won't be such a project.<br><br>
sorry for the tangent, I'm exhausted and punchy.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
I've read either mag alone or a cal/mag supp sometimes helps with supply, maybe that would help even out how she feels?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts