Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an old article, but let's pick it apart anyway. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/10/anti-vaccine-protest-california-facts

Watch what happens when you fairly and legally participate in the democratic process.

You're not speaking at a hearing, you're "heckling." You're not calling your elected officials with thousands of other parents to express concerns, you're "bombarding" them. You're not expressing passionate opinions to legislative staff, you're "harassing" people. Your legally organized marches are "noisy." (Apparently, normal marches have a mute button on them).
You're not criticizing forced vaxxers, you're "vilifying" them.

Shame on you. You should just surrender your rights without protest. Sit, stay, shake, and vaccinate on command. Good Mommy. Atta girl. <Pat, pat, pat!>

And this comes out of Merry Old Coercion-Free England. :shake

·
Registered
18,827 Posts
I like the headline "blindsided" by activists.

I think the vaccine choice people felt blindsided by being hit with a huge pile of bills all the way across the country all at the same time.

·
Registered
18,827 Posts
Lawmakers promoting the new law were tenacious in their own way, challenging the claim that the bill would force vaccinations even on children with legitimate medical reasons not to have them. A doctor sympathetic to the anti-vaccination movement was ultimately forced to concede the bill contained no such language.

“The danger I feel as a policymaker is that when assertions are made in public comment that aren’t fact-based, that’s irresponsible,” state senator Holly Mitchell said.
The bill may not have contained any such language, but in the real world, getting a medical exemption can be just about impossible.

Plus, in most cases, your child has to have had a very severe reaction and a doctor has to have agreed that it was a vaccine reaction and severe besides before you have even a faint hope of getting a medical exemption.

Reactions: Turquesa
1 - 3 of 3 Posts