Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for your patience--I know these questions get asked all the time. I live in New Jersey and my husband is probably being relocated to Atlanta sometime in the next year. We just took a trip to scope things out....and I'm feeling very discouraged. Maybe you ladies can help?

We're looking for a neighborhood with classic, 2-story houses, sidewalks, parks, services within walking distance, and reasonably liberal neighbors. We wanted a decent school district, but we'd compromise on that. In other cities (Minneapolis, Philadelphia, etc.) you can find a lot of these neighborhoods. But where are these neighborhoods in Atlanta? We looked at Virginia Highland and expected to like it a lot, but I was discouraged by the prices and the generally run-down feel of the neighborhood (broken sidewalks, miniscule lawns, etc.). I've heard good things about Decatur, but I can never seem to find any nice house listings, and we didn't get a chance to go there. What about Druid Hills? Are there other neighborhoods that I'm just not seeing, or does everyone live in the suburbs?

My next question is about rats. Is it a fact of life that all older houses in Atlanta have a rat problem? I have heard very bad things from my husband's colleagues, and I am wondering if we should just give up on the city and look in the suburbs.

Finally, one question about the suburbs. Are there any suburbs that are walkable, or that have a main street? Right now we live in a very diverse suburb of NYC, with a street grid (no cul de sacs) and a really nice small-town feel. Is there an equivalent in the Atlanta suburbs?

Thanks for your help!
-Monica

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I live north of ATl in Cumming in a typical subdivision.....we have: classic, 2-story houses, sidewalks, parks, a decent school district
but not: services within walking distance, and reasonably liberal neighbors

The areas that you have mentioned are probably your best bet. Historic Roswell might fit some of your needs. Oh, and there are rats in the burbs too
:. But you can make sure that your home is "sealed" by a professional company so that they are only on the outside of your home and in your neighbors homes

You'll definitley want to consider your dh's commute when making a decision... traffic here is a nightmare!!!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicaG
In other cities (Minneapolis, Philadelphia, etc.) you can find a lot of these neighborhoods. But where are these neighborhoods in Atlanta? ?

Thanks for your help!
-Monica
Also, Atlanta is a pretty "new" city. And most of old ATlanta was burned in teh civil war..............

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicaG
Thanks for your patience--I know these questions get asked all the time. I live in New Jersey and my husband is probably being relocated to Atlanta sometime in the next year. We just took a trip to scope things out....and I'm feeling very discouraged. Maybe you ladies can help?

We're looking for a neighborhood with classic, 2-story houses, sidewalks, parks, services within walking distance, and reasonably liberal neighbors. We wanted a decent school district, but we'd compromise on that.
-Monica
Historic Avondale Estates which is right by Decatur. Something near the pool/tennis club. You'll need to visit. It's a great place with everything you want but the city schools are awful and according to my friends who live there "nobody" uses the city schools.

Decatur is wonderful & if you come back I will be happy to show you neighborhoods more in line with what you want.

I love Druid Hills too. None of these are "affordable," but parts of Decatur and AE are more so. Fortunately coming from Jersey, you're probably used to expensive real estate?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I live in Alpharetta, about 20 miles north of the city. We live just off Main Street (it's actually called that) and can walk most places (drugstore, library, coffee shop, etc). We have a two-story house in a decent neighborhood and our neighbors aren't terribly crunchy but we are really happy here and it's diverse enough so that we don't feel like we're in a bubble.

PM me if you want to know more about where I live...there are several houses for sale very close to me and one belongs to a friend, and is lovely.

I would love to live intown but the cons outweighed the pros for us, and we've been here five years and really love it more all the time. good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
I lived in Druid Hills for several years before my recent move to the west coast. I loved the excellent schools, proximity to shops, farmer's market and museums. Most of it is entirely walkable with good sidewalk access, but not in the heat of the summer. And if you need a private school there are Montessori and Waldorf options and a great Catholic school.
Price of home can be an issue. Expect to pay 400K for even a small-ish home. Though, if you have time to shop, sometimes older ranch homes come up for less because they have little "historical" value as opposed to many other homes here.

rats? My old house backed up to a creek. I had raccoons, opposums, a red-tailed hawk, chipmunks and three kinds of owl. I personally, never saw a rat. Little mice and shrews, but no rats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts