Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I convinced dh to let us stay an extra day
I was getting so overwhelmed with all of the things we could do and disappointed that we would be stuck in the mall and miss all of the other great things the area has to offer. So now we have one more whole day WITH a car and dh. This is the day we want to get out into the city.

People have already recommended some great things. The zoo sounds great and the Children's museum in on the list. Is there anything else in the Twin Cities that you would not want to miss? We have a 3.5 yo in tow, so things that would appeal to her would be great. They also need to be easy to find without difficult parking situations. We are NOT city people so have trouble with things like complicated freeways and parallel parking
It causes near-divorce.

I also have been mulling over the restaurant thread. TOO MUCH INFO! I cannot even come close to narrowing down the choices. So again, we are vegetarian and have a 3 yo. We are willing to pay a lot for good food if it is worth it. Good parking and easy-to-find would help. We are especially partial to Thai, Indian, Mexican (but we are total snobs in that department and the margeritas have to be GOOD), and gourmet vegetarian. A bar is a must (for dinner anyway....Must. Have. Wine.) There is a Pizza Luce in Duluth that we frequent often when dh plays there. That is the type of place we like
Lunch ideas near the St. Paul Zoo or Children's Museum would be good too. Any ideas?

Am I annoying or what? Like I said......we do not get out much.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,348 Posts
I highly recommend the Sculpture Garden and Walker Art Center (I posted a link in your other thread).

When are you going to be here? The Streetcar rides are fun, but they don't start until May http://www.trolleyride.org/

If you're doing the Zoo, the Como Zoo in St. Paul is very small. The cages aren't big. It can be fun for a short zoo visit--you're up close with the gorillas--but some find it depressing. The Minnesota zoo is huge, more of an all day thing. They have a really cool bird show and dolphin show. If you're here the end of MArch they will have baby animals at the farm. http://www.mnzoo.com/animals/family_farm/about.asp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
I highly recommend the Sculpture Garden and Walker Art Center (I posted a link in your other thread).

When are you going to be here? The Streetcar rides are fun, but they don't start until May http://www.trolleyride.org/

If you're doing the Zoo, the Como Zoo in St. Paul is very small. The cages aren't big. It can be fun for a short zoo visit--you're up close with the gorillas--but some find it depressing. The Minnesota zoo is huge, more of an all day thing. They have a really cool bird show and dolphin show. If you're here the end of MArch they will have baby animals at the farm. http://www.mnzoo.com/animals/family_farm/about.asp
We will be there this weekend. I would have a really hard time with small cages. Is the Minnesota zoo open this time of year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
We will be there this weekend. I would have a really hard time with small cages. Is the Minnesota zoo open this time of year?
If you have a hard time with small cages, stick to the MN Zoo. The Como Zoo has some space limitations due to it being in the middle of a city, and some of the animals deserve bigger cages. I personally preffer the Como Zoo, especially for a short day, and they are trying to improve their environments, but if you are really sensitive it may not be right for you. The MN Zoo is in Apple Valley, 30 minutes South of the cities, and is more of an all day thing. It is open this time of year and there is a tropics trail that is great to walk through during the winter. The habitats are spacious, so much so that sometimes you can't really see some of the animals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
I think that the Como Zoo has made tremendous strides in improving their habitats. I remember when the animals were all in the cages at the current admin building (those cages are no bigger than a dog kennel) and so what they have now is wonderful. The MN zoo is nice too but Como holds a special place in my heart.

I would definitely go to the Science Museum(http://www.smm.org/)! In fact, I would skip the MOA altogether and just go to the Science Museum, The Children's Museum (http://www.mcm.org/), and Como Park & Zoo (http://www.comozooconservatory.org/).
Oh, I would also go to uptown and cruise the Lakes

I have to add that my husband is a Yooper and so are my next door neighbors, always nice to see a yooper
Kelly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
I 2nd the MN zoo and the science museum. I haven't been to the Sci Museum in years (since it changed locations actually) but I know it's a great kid place. I agree MN zoo is nicer than Como. I took the boys to Como this summer and they were actually bored and DH and I were disappointed with how run down it looked since the last time we'd been there. We enjoyed the gardens but not the animals so much.

Actually if you have an AAA membership you can get a discount at the MN zoo. Don't remember what it is but I think it's off admission and parking.

The area has a lot of great kid things but most are for older kids or for summer weather. the MN zoo is probably easiest to get to if you are at the MOA.

Links:

MN Zoo: http://www.mnzoo.com/
Como park: http://www.comozooconservatory.org/
science museum: http://www.smm.org/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gool0005 View Post
I think that the Como Zoo has made tremendous strides in improving their habitats. I remember when the animals were all in the cages at the current admin building (those cages are no bigger than a dog kennel) and so what they have now is wonderful. The MN zoo is nice too but Como holds a special place in my heart.

I would definitely go to the Science Museum(http://www.smm.org/)! In fact, I would skip the MOA altogether and just go to the Science Museum, The Children's Museum (http://www.mcm.org/), and Como Park & Zoo (http://www.comozooconservatory.org/).
Oh, I would also go to uptown and cruise the Lakes

I have to add that my husband is a Yooper and so are my next door neighbors, always nice to see a yooper
Kelly
Yay for Yoopers!!!!!

Yeah, I would skip the mall if I had a car. But one day dh is busy all day with the car so dd and I would be stuck at the hotel. But we do have a shuttle to the mall. We are in it for the rides


The children's museum looks great! It looks like there is a lot to do with a 3 yo. It also looks like we will be there on the free "third Sunday". That is good I guess but it sounds like it might be pretty crowded. We might have to move our plans around a little.

I am torn on the zoo. I am not really looking for an all day thing. But as former vegans that used to boycott all zoos, I am not sure what to do......

Any good restaurant suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
if you want to take advantage of the "free" sunday at the Childrens' Museum, get there right when they open at 9am. It's usually not too crowded right away. Starts getting crowded about 11am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,061 Posts
Hmm, now I prefer Como Zoo to the MN Zoo anyday
. Como is free and they also have the garden place attached. MN Zoo is way down in the south part and not easy to find if you've never been there. Or else I'm terrible with a map. Science Museum is good, I think they have a race exhibit going on. Walking along Summit Avenue is fun too to see the big mansions and we like to walk through the cathedral as well. The Depot has an indoor ice skating rink but its downtown Minneapolis. Though they do have a parking lot. There's also... oh what the hecks it called? The big grave yard place?My grandpa is buried there so we stop but you probably don't want to go to a cemetary for sightseeing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
I second the Science Muesem, its really neat and my kids had a great time there last year. I'm not sure if I would do either of the zoos this time of year, but I do know that the MN Zoo has a large indoor part. The Children's Musuem is really fun too. If you're going to MOA, Under Water World is really neat! My boys also like Lego Land in the mall which is free, and they have every type of food at the mall.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,623 Posts
Not to add more choices,
but I'd also recommend the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. "A free, non-profit museum of visual arts from around the world. Ancient to modern." www.artsmia.org/
My DD loves it, we live in St. Cloud and don't get there really often, I think the last time she was there was last summer, but she brought it up, totally on her own out of the blue last night.
Also, on the day you are without transportation, you may want to consider taking the light rail into downtown. The trains are fun to ride on, and the Nicollet mall can be a nice place to walk around. This would especially be worth considering if its a beautiful day and you don't want to be stuck inside. The train costs $1.50 for an adult ticket (non-rush hour) and up to three children under ages 5 can ride free with a paid adult fare. Ages 6-12 a ticket is 50 cents. DD and DH ride the train together whenever they are both in the city together (about once a year).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheenya View Post
Also, on the day you are without transportation, you may want to consider taking the light rail into downtown. The trains are fun to ride on, and the Nicollet mall can be a nice place to walk around. This would especially be worth considering if its a beautiful day and you don't want to be stuck inside. The train costs $1.50 for an adult ticket (non-rush hour) and up to three children under ages 5 can ride free with a paid adult fare. Ages 6-12 a ticket is 50 cents. DD and DH ride the train together whenever they are both in the city together (about once a year).
The thought I heard the weather forcast for this weekend is in the 20's. I would skip the Nicollet Mall. It's more of a "summer" destination IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys rock


If you had to choose between the children's museum and the science museum, which would be better for a 3 yo?

I checked the weather and it is suppose to be around 40 all weekend. That is balmy for us
So the zoo would be great. Still not sure which one.....

I am summoning courage for the light rail....... With dh it would be no problem, buy frankly I am chicken about getting lost. I had a pretty bad incident involving the Boston train a few years back. Basically I am not public transit savvy. But it sounds like soemthing I should try to "get over" in the name of exploration


Adding Art Museum to the list.... Crap, we need some more days!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starr View Post
Hmm, now I prefer Como Zoo to the MN Zoo anyday
. Como is free and they also have the garden place attached. MN Zoo is way down in the south part and not easy to find if you've never been there.
Hmm I feel the same way about Como--can not find until I drive around for 10 minutes but I only go there once every few years so that might be part of it.
I know Yooper is staying by the MOA so I think the MN zoo would be easier for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hmbay View Post
The weather forcast for this weekend is in the 20's. I would skip the Nicollet Mall. It's more of a "summer" destination IMHO.
Cross posted..... I got 40s for the weekend. I used weather.com. They usually predict colder than it actually ends up being. What am I missing? 20s is still pretty warm for us....as in "bearable" and it will chase away the crowds. The hearty always win
Adding extra cold weather gear to the packing list.....

I am more worried about the roads. We are driving. We are fine in any sort of road conditions but I always freak about the "invinsible" SUVs that always pass us when the roads are icy. Yuck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hmbay View Post
Hmm I feel the same way about Como--can not find until I drive around for 10 minutes but I only go there once every few years so that might be part of it.
I know Yooper is staying by the MOA so I think the MN zoo would be easier for them.
you guys are scaring me
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,623 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If you had to choose between the children's museum and the science museum, which would be better for a 3 yo?
I'd choose the children's museum for a three year old, even though they both are great, the science museum can be a bit more overwhelming.

Quote:
I am summoning courage for the light rail....... With dh it would be no problem, buy frankly I am chicken about getting lost.
Well, if you want to get out of the MoA you could always hop on the train, ride it to the end and back again without ever getting off
There is only one rail line in mnpls, so as long as you stick to it, its a pretty easy system to navigate. Here is the link to the light rail page if you want to look at their map. http://www.metrotransit.org/rail/index.asp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,348 Posts
Quote:
If you had to choose between the children's museum and the science museum, which would be better for a 3 yo?
They are both great, but for a 3yo I'd choose the Children's Museum. I've been to many around the US and it is one of the best.

Quote:
I know Yooper is staying by the MOA so I think the MN zoo would be easier for them.
If you're staying near the MOA, the MN Zoo will be pretty easy to get to. You go South on 77 for about 10 minutes, and there are signs guiding you to the zoo--it's just two turns that you need to watch for.

The last time we went to the zoo we did the monorail ride. My 2yo really enjoyed riding the "train" and it is a nice view of the animals.

There is an Imax teater at the zoo. They are showing Lions 3D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Cross posted..... I got 40s for the weekend. I used weather.com. They usually predict colder than it actually ends up being.
I just checked a local weather site and they are saying low 40's. I'm the type of person who only checks the weather once a week and last week they were saying 20's for this coming weekend. Awesome! I had planned on it being cold this weekend. I like 40's much better. Perhaps I can get some outlet mall shopping in.


Also the reason I can't find Como park is I'm totally unfamiliar with St. Paul. I'm not originally from the metro area and more familiar with areas other than St. Paul so the few times a year I go there I always get lost.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top