Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my dreams of no morning sickness have been squashed. I was queasy but holding it together and eating decently until last Friday, when BOOM, the yucks hit. With my dd I started really being sick at 11-12 weeks. This time it's started at 6 weeks. I hope that means it will end sooner, anyway!

I'm having trouble thinking of anything at all that I want to eat. Friday and Saturday it was beans/rice/guacamole/tortilla chips. This morning I snacked on cashews before getting out of bed, thinking the protein would help, but they didn't stay down. Today I managed some chicken and rice and sent dh out for chicken fried steak with gravy.
: I couldn't eat the mashed potatoes that came with it because they tasted nasty, but the battered and fried second-class meat I was able to keep down. What's up with that? Disgusting!

I got some papaya enzyme and am going to take a bigger dose of B vitamins. Also bought some saltines and have been sipping on fruit-juice based ginger ale and fizzy water. I'm glad that the baby is growing and know that morning sickness is a sign of a healthy pregnancy in many ways, but I'm also so bummed. Food is one of the great loves of my life, darnit!

*Sigh*

Carol

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'm not throwing up (I didn't the other times either) but I have been nauseous pretty much all day sincee 7 dpo! That is just like my son so I am thinking its probably a boy. I am barely able to eat and when I do its weird stuff - Like I am craving onion bagels with herb and garlic cream cheese! If you knew me you'd know I do not like that kind of stuff but for some reason it tastes great right now! Try Gatorade, I know its sugary but its the only thing able to help my nausea.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Me too. It's so frustrating. Every time I think of food I get nauseaus. Walking through the kitchen is torture! If I get hungry, I have to eat RIGHT AWAY or I get sick. And, for some reason things that are not good for me are sounding good and staying down better. I've been eating white noodles, white rice, white bread, etc. I cannot eat meat. I'm usually a whole wheat, organic foods loving person. Now, I don't even care!!

I guess this is a good sign though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've only vomited once so far (and it was first thing in the morning so there was really nothing to come up, actually) but I'm queasy/nauseous nearly all the time. With my first pg I was sick for exactly one week (6 1/2 weeks to 7 1/2 weeks). The second time I was sick the whole first trimester. So, I'm not sure what to expect this time!!

The funny thing is, I feel like I can eat if it is right there presented to me - the other night I had a Pampered Chef party at my house and all the food there was DELICIOUS!! I stuffed myself! But if I have to go into the kitchen and make myself something, even just a sandwich or whatever, I feel sick just doing it. I'm pretty sure I would have no problem eating Mexican food, though....kinda craving that!

One thing I have discovered is Preggie Pops. I had heard of them before but never tried them. I saw some at the checkout at Babies R Us a few days ago so I picked up a package. They are working great for me if I lay in bed and suck on one before I get up in the morning - it really decreases the nausea then. If I just get up and start moving before I eat one, I feel much sicker. I don't know if regular candy would work as well or if it's the essential oils in these that does it...the ginger one is really good, as is the peppermint. The lavender one tasted good, but it was weird to be eating something that smelled so strongly of lavender (and I burped up lavender all day!).

ETA: Jennifer - I am the same way about white breads and stuff. It seems what I crave (or what I think will stay down best) is stuff like that, and chocolate cake! And the Mexican food...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Dana - I am the exact same way!!! We were at a picnic yesterday and the food was presented to me all cooked and wonderful. I pigged out! But, here at home if I have to prepare it myself, I'm a throwing up mess. Even walking into my kitchen makes me heave.

Tonight - Kraft mac and cheese. Why??? I never eat this junk!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
My nausea comes and goes and one thing I found by accident that really helps is warm tea! I went to a tea house with a friend over the weekend and I felt so great afterwards that I went and bought some. Now, whenever the oogy feeling strikes, I pop a cup of water in the microwave and I'm feeling good for a few hours afterwards.

I had dreadful all day sickness when I was pg with my dd so I'm hoping the fates decide to be kind this time around.

Hope all you ladies feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Oooh, I'm sorry! I hope it doesn't last too long. I've never had it that bad. Had constant nausea but never threw up with DS, some nausea and threw up a couple of times with my later m/c, and this time I feel the twinges starting if I eat too fast, or wait too long to eat. But I'm only 5 weeks tomorrow so ask me again next week, or the week after. I might be joining you in the throne-room.

But the more symptoms the better, since I know that means my hormone levels are rising!

I really like lemon anything for m/s and nausea. Just smelling it helps. I would take a half-lemon in a plastic baggie and whiff it whenever I smelled something that brought nausea on like cigarette smoke or coffee (sad, I love coffee!!!) Or lemon squeeze in ice-cold water. Lemon drops (although the sweet can be icky, the tangerine or citrus sours altoids makes were good for me last time)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I had constant 24/7 nausea with my first pregnancy. This one (so far) seems to be much less - still queasy sometimes, but comes and goes. Trying to eat my fruits & veggies

I am using acupressure to help relieve the nausea when I have it - apply pressure 3 fingers up from your wrists on inner arm right near the ligament. This helps a lot.

And drinking giner tea & limeade - these are both helping a lot too.

I am going to an acupuncturist - both for general pregnancy well-being and help with symptoms. I first began seeing her for the pain I had from my c-section scar (daily pain for 18 months following the operation) and within 3 treatments the pain was a lot less. It is more uncomfortable again with my skin/scar expanding from this pregnancy, and I'm interested to see if it feels better or worse after this baby is born (some have told me a 2nd preg helps the scar tissues/adhesions)

February 2006!

·
Registered
463 Posts
It hit me hard this weekend.
I spent almost the entire weekend sick as a dog, and finally got a bit of relief today. Relief as in I didn't throw up - I still feel horribly nauseous all the time. At least I was able to eat something though! I've been wearing sea bands and sucking on ginger candy, both seem to be helping a little. I plan to up my vitamin B intake as I've heard that helps as well.

I hope we all feel better soon!

·
Registered
686 Posts
So I just had to chime in. With ds literally from the moment of conception I was throwing up. This lasted pretty much the whole pregnancy. So far with this one I have yet to throw up but I fell nausous most of the time. Recently I discovered that chicken and this baby don't mix even the thought of it makes me nausiuos.
: So I'm hoping this time for a girl since it is a little differnt. Any specific foods make any one else sick. Oh and all of a sudden extra cheesy doritos are soo yummy LOL. I never eat chips. :LOL

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Ive had nausea for about a week now. No vomiting yet, thank goodness! But I discovered yesterday that walking in the big mexican/spanish market we have right by my house, and walking past the fresh fish, isnt a good idea

Ive also learned that eating a whole bag of gummi bears, no matter how good they souns and how good they taste, isnt a good idea either!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feel nauseous most of the day. I think it is adding to my general funky mood of being overwhelmed. I normally love food and trying new recipes. It is so upsetting to me that I can't stand being in the kitchen. I can not wait until this stage ends. With DS, this lasted until 11 weeks...so I guess I have awhile to go. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've also been less grossed out with white bread, white rice, etc.! Despite my usual reluctance to buy anything not whole grain. And lemon has helped some, too. HAdn't thought of lemon drops...I will have to try that. I've discovered that, just like with my last pregnancy, McDonalds cheeseburgers will stay down when nothing else will. GROAN. I hate consuming that heinous crap, but I also know that if you don't keep anything down for a while, the problem just gets worse. At least that's how it was for me last time. I just wish there were something - anything - else that appealed to me.

I've been keeping saltines and sharp cheddar by the bed and eating a little if I wake in the night, and the rest upon waking, before getting up. I can't say that it's helped enormously, but the crackers and cheese have (so far) stayed down every time.

I'll try to dig up my SeaBands from last time, see if that helps. I've never heard of the pregnancy pops, might have to try those, too.

Hang in there, nauseous friends! Oh, and a tip from my last pregnancy...you might want to keep a couple of plastic grocery bags in your purse/car in case of urgent need.

Carol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well, count me in on the nauseated camp. I was sick my whole first trimester with my daughter, and I guess I fully expect to be with this one. I guess I'll have to hang in there for one more month...but I've been feeling sick morning, noon and night for the last two weeks or so. Usually I gag a few times a day, but haven't actually - you know - hurled yet this time around. YUCK!

My husband thinks it's hilarious that I can't open the refrigerator without trying to throw up. Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.