Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you helped me recently when I posted about tossing my whole stash due to a reoccurring yeast rash in my 1 year old. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!

Well, I am experimenting with your sage advice -- and skipping the fuzzy bunz I have been using for night diapers with her. We only use prefolds during the day, but at night I relied on fb's due to their better absorption. A few people suggested that she might be reacting to the poly fleece, and I think there is something to that ---

SO -- which dipes and covers would be good for night? I'd LOVE to not change her at all during the night, but if I must, I will. A friend just gave me some of her old Cuddler dipes (100% cotton flannel outer, inter later poly/cotton combo.) Think those would be any good for night?

Suggestions from the wise mothering cd'ers???

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
A hemp fleece prefold or fitted with a good organic cotton velour doubler under a nicky 100% cotton cover. (I'd also consider wool if you can use it)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
With my second son we used hemp fitteds with a doubler and wool shorts. I just made shorts (and pants for winter) out of wool jersey from a commercial kids clothing pattern. For whatever reason the shorts/pants did not leak. But if I put a wool cover over the dipe instead, it leaked. I think there's something about the loseness of the shorts/pants.
*Note: be sure to use wool fabric that has not been treated to prevent shrinkage. It will leak. You want natural wool fabric. You might look into making longies out of old wool sweaters. You could make them a bit large to prevent that tight fit that may leak.
That's been our experience. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
YOu could just use the prefolds you already have. That is what I use and it works great. Just add a doubler if you need more absorbancy. I use BSWW for a cover. Wool would be great too.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
You may also want to look into bamboo diapers. They are extremely absorbent!! Very soft as well. I highly recommend them.
Amy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some of my favs are:

Indian prefolds
Sugar peas (organic cotton is terrific)
And I'm getting Under the Nile org cotton fitteds in a few days. I haven't tried them yet, but I've heard they are really absorbant. I can let you know after a week or so.

If your open to hemp, Little Longing Lizards hemp prefolds are amazing!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!!!! Which brand of doublers do you recommend (I'm open to cotton or hemp).

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have to say that I have a very heavy wetter and I love love love my dream-eze organic fitteds. They are so so soft and extremely absorbent. I just ordered another 1/2 dozen of the organic velour ones. I use these with a wool soaker and have not had a single leak. They do run small though so I had to order up a size.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I agree, organic velour makes a very absorbent diaper. They're great for night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts