Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in Australia. My kids are now 10 and 13. I had them late in life, the first at 42 and the second at 45. I was one of those people who left school at 15 and went back in my mid 30s. I travelled, married, divorced, did up houses, flirted with ideas and movements, friends, plays, movies. I could have filled another ten years before having children but as you can see I was running out of time and finally, we, took the plunge to get pregnant. I say we because it was, and still is, important to me that if I were to have children it would have to be a shared experience and commitment, otherwise no way. I loved being pregnant, the birth was an incredible experience, both good and bad, and here we were with a baby. I had entered motherland and was 'rapt. Before becoming pregnant I had compelted a degree and Masters with a major in women's studies, so when I got the opportunty to look back on the shelves I was focused. What is this thing called motherhood? To my amazement, in the mid 1990s, I found a burgeoning of literature (now expidential) and from then to now have been entranced. A couple of years ago I attained a scholarship to do a Phd and that is what I am working on titled: Families in transition: the subjectivity and agency of women when they become first time mothers in contemporary Australia. In the course of this slipper slope I came across an Association for Research on Mothering, York University, Toronto, Canada and have been to 3 conferences in Australia and one in Canada, which were fantastic. ARM is very active, with a journal and now they have set up a publishing house, ushering in all sorts of titles, from poetry, proes, philosophy, literature, sociology and more. Furthermore, the centre hosts many conference and seminars. I recommend the site for your perusal: http://www.yorku.ca/arm/ There is something happening here and I don't know what it is, do you Mrs (Ms) Jones??

Wonderful to have rediscovered your site! Take care and all the best from Australia, Joannie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the welcome!

Just wanted to mention, along my path, I've linked various articles, papers and reports to an internet site called - Mothers of Intevention. Depending, of course, on your interests and inclinations, but these, for me, have sometimes been godsends - see www.moi.org.au

best, Joannie

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi!!

I have a MA in Women's and Gender Studies, too! From Rutgers University. Your project sounds fascinating...I've been so struck by how much my identity has shifted since becoming a mother only 3.5 months ago. I studied stuff about motherhood in school too....I'll have to go back and read when I get a chance.

I've found MDC to be incredibly helpful...I wish I'd found it sooner.

Welcome, nice to meet you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.