Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iStock_000015936400XSmall.jpg

We've all heard the joke about getting Dad a tie every year for Father's Day. Or getting Mom some perfume she actually hates, which she will accept with grace and a smile. For both Mother's Day and Father's Day, the ads start running early and often telling you what you should get for your parents to make them feel appreciated. What is more difficult to find are family traditions that don't involve ties or perfume.

What kind of traditions does your family have to celebrate Mom or Dad? How would you like your family to recognize you on these days? Do you celebrate the actual day?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would have loved an iPad for Mother's Day :D lol but it fell on moving day for us so there wasn't really any celebration. My husband would probably love nothing more than hours to himself to play Brink on the PS3.

Last year was his first Father's Day and I ordered a photo book from Shutterfly. He absolutely loved it and still "reads" it to our daughter often.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
For mother's day this year we went on a picnic and hike in a state park I'd like that to be tradition, or at least the "me picking what we do" part of that. Oh, and no dishes to wash please. Last year I got wind chimes I wanted. This year I got a nook, but only due to unusual circumstances.

Husband usually gets something for outside: weed eater, landscaping stuff, etc. I'm not sure what he wants this year. We always spend father's day at his parent's house, as it's usually the same weekend as his dad's birthday.

I love the idea of a shutterfly book. I think, though, that in my house that would be more of a gift for me.

·
Premium Member
24,385 Posts
I have a hard time with the holidays. There is always such a build up of expectation, no matter what I do, that I always feel vaguely disappointed. Happens on my birthday too.

We don't have any traditions, though I do usually get to sleep in on Mother's Day, and I take no responsibility for feeding the family that day. LOL

I am not sure what I will be doing for DH this year. Or for the grandfathers. Guess I should think about it!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Mother's Day usually falls right at the same time as both of my parents' birthdays, and a week before mine. Most often, the kids make breakfast for me, and then we spend the most of the day together. Towards evening, we go to my parents' and cook dinner for them. Pretty much, it's a family day.

When the kids were seeing their Dad, they spent the w/e with him - with the requisite agonizing over an "appropriate" gift for him beforehand (long story). Now, they give him a call sometime during the day. Otherwise, we go over to my parents' and throw stuff on the grill, go swimming, etc. Again - just spend time.

ETA: I do remember that one of my (and my Dad's favorite Father's Day was when *I* took *him* to the Bronx Zoo - somewhere we used to spend a lot of time together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.