Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I am 5 weeks pregnant. 36 days ago I had a miscarriage at 7 weeks pregnant. ( <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/201270" target="_blank">http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/201270</a> )  I wasn't aware I was pregnant right away last month. My milk supply began to decrease, I realized my period was late and tested. To help my milk supply I drank a few cups of Mother's Milk tea. Got a very faint positive pregnancy test result. Then a week later had a miscarriage.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am wondering if the Mother's Milk tea or the fish oil I was taking could have caused the miscarriage... This pregnancy my milk supply seems to be decreasing again but I am not drinking any tea or taking anything other than my prenatal now. I don't want to cause a miscarriage. Are my worries silly? This whole trying to keep nursing my 18mo old and maintaining pregnancy is new and unfamiliar to me. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!</p>

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
<p>I actually attribute fish oil to helping this spark implant well, so I don't think that was it.  A lot of the time, these things just happen and there is no cause to be found...</p>

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
<p>For your supply, it couldn't hurt to eat oats everyday, though.  =D</p>

·
Registered
561 Posts
<p>I don't think its likely the tea or fish oil caused your miscarriage...especially since you weren't drinking very much. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for your supply issues with this pregnancy: my supply dipped when I first became pregnant, and then came back up again.  I ate oatmeal and used More Milk Two.  I don't know that it helped all that much, but it made me feel like I was doing something proactive to maintain my supply.  From everything I've read, for most women the rules of supply-and-demand and the effectiveness of galactogogues go out the window as a pregnancy progresses.  I started to really lose my supply around 16 weeks, although there was still milk.  My daughter (21 months) still "nurses" at night (and sometimes first thing in the morning) even though anything there is colostrum at this point (I'm 30 weeks).  I'm not encouraging tandem nursing, but if she continues to comfort nurse like she is for the next few months, I suspect she'll pick right up again once my milk comes in after this baby is born.   </p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.motherlove.com/product/320-More-Milk-Two-Alcohol-Free.html" target="_blank">http://www.motherlove.com/product/320-More-Milk-Two-Alcohol-Free.html</a></p>

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
<p>What are the ingredients in your Mother's Milk tea? A number of herbs can be indicated in miscarriage, but you'd probably have to ingest more than you did. Still, wouldn't hurt to know what was in it, and if there were any that might cause uterine contractions, best off to avoid it this time around. I was super careful during my pregnancy with herbal tea. Probably overly so, but still, better safe than sorry.</p>

·
Registered
260 Posts
<p>I had a 8 wk loss a couple weeks ago (after a 5wk loss in July), and I started questioning everything I had done. I talked to my midwife (who is also a naturopath) about having eaten left-over fish, treating a yeast infection, having a cough, nursing my DD, etc. She said, "if you told me you were out doing crack, I might tell you 'you know, that might have hurt your baby' but I'm pretty sure that nothing you would have been doing could have hurt your baby." She also went on to say that because there is so much happening in the early weeks, (cells dividing etc) that it is pretty all or nothing. I've done quite a bit of reading since my two losses, and it pretty much supports what she said. The exact numbers vary, but in general, most of what I've found says that 80-90% of miscarriages are due to chromosomal issues with the embryo, and the things that a mother does which could/would cause damage are the obvious things, serious drugs, smoking, experiencing major physical trauma, etc.</p>

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
<p>There is fish oil in my prenatal vitamins. I have found that most of the prescription prenatals have them, so I am sure fish oil is fine. </p>

·
Registered
911 Posts
<p>There's nothing in Mother's Milk tea that would cause a miscarriage. Even if there was, infusions are a very weak form of herbs (unless you were truly making them medicinal-strength, which is about an ounce of herbs per pint of water and steeped for up to four-six hours) and even super strong doses of tinctures of abortifacient herbs are not a guarantee. And certainly not fish oil- omega 3s are good for pregnancy!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You didn't cause your miscarriage. I know how hard it is -I just had my first loss- and I've been researching everything from my antidepressant to my husband's medications to paint fumes to long car rides to laptop usage. But there is no way to know what causes them for sure. And that makes it even harder. But it's not your fault. It's not anything you did wrong.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>*hugs*</p>
<p> </p>
<p>~Rose</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts