Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm being a little paranoid I guess. I'm pg with #4. The birth weights of my first 3 children were: 9 lb 7 oz, 8 lb 8 oz, and 10 lb 12 oz. With my 2nd baby (the lightest one!) I gained the least amount of weight because the entire first trimester I was still breastfeeding and didn't gain. All the other pregnancies I haven't been nursing any longer so the weight gain began immediately. I've always gained between 40 and 50 lb and have been able to lose 100% (or more) of it while breastfeeding. So, I told the doctor it's normal for me to gain a lot and have large babies.

Well, I'm almost 27 weeks along in this pregnancy. I've already gained around 30 lb and I feel HUGE. I got out my scrapbooks and checked the belly pictures from all 3 previous pregnancies, and I'm bigger now than I was at 29 weeks with my 10 lb 12 oz baby. Dh looked at the pics too and agrees. I am carrying lower this time, but I"m definitely big.

Does this mean I'm going to have another enormous baby? Am I huge because I'm going to have a big baby, or is the baby going to be big because I've gained too much weight? I try to eat healthy but I do love dessert! I don't feel I've necessarily eaten more this time than in my previous pregnancies either.

I mainly have been feeling like I should be feeling a month or 2 from now. It seems to early to feel this big and uncomfortable.

And no, my due date is not in question. I know about when conception occurred, and have had 2 ultrasounds confirm the due date.

just wanted to know from other moms who have had several children- do they keep getting bigger, or is it unlikely I'll have another baby as big as my third?

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I do think your diet has a lot to do with it, in addition to genetics.

#1 6/8 - 15 days early - gained 28 pounds
#2 5/12 - 20 days early - gained 23 pounds
#3 8/8 - 1 day early - gained 20 pounds
#4 9/8 - 4 days late - gained 28 pounds

I am not worried about this babe weighing more. I eliminate sugar from my diet during pregnancy and know my body will grow the right size baby.
Are you getting regular exercise? If you are uncomfortable with your weight gain try to exercise at least three times a week and cut sugar out.

Keri

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Well, with my experience I don't think it makes a hill of beans of difference.

#1 I gained 26 lbs and he was 7lbs 8 oz

#2 I gained 16 lbs and he was my largest at 8lbs 13oz

#3 I gained 30lbs and she was 7lbs 6oz

#4 I gained 20 something lbs (I can't remember!) and she was 7lbs 11 oz

So, there ya have it! My scientific analysis says that size of the baby is not totally related by how much or how little weight is gained by mama (this mama anyway).

I would say eat as healthy as you can and let the chips fall where they may.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
This is how mine went:

#1 - 7lbs
#2 - 8 lbs 8 oz
#3 - 9 lbs
#4 - 8 lbs 15 oz
#5 - 8 lbs 3 oz
#6 - 8 lbs 8 oz

I thought mine just kept getting bigger and bigger and what I saw was they just mostly stayed in the 8 1/2 lbs range give or take. Oh and I gained between 25 and 60 lbs with each one. The 60 was with my 2nd. The 25 with #5. They were all between 13-21 days past my due date.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've only got one so far, but I'll give ya my 2 cents. Mine was 9lbs 12oz. I'd gained 60lbs. The nurse told me that my weight gain had nothing to do with his weight. The only predictor she could tell me is that a baby's weight is similar to mom's birth weight (I was 3 lbs less than my son, so that doesn't work in this case). So, yeah, I agree with the other moms who say it's pretty random. Though if subsequent babies get bigger, I'm scared to have another!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I gained about 30 pounds with each. Here are their weights:

#1-7lb13oz
#2-7lb8oz
#3-8lb2oz
#4-5lb15oz
#5-8lb2oz
#6-7lb11oz
#7-6lb14oz

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I am not sure but I think it's not necessarily the weight that you gain but what kind of weight. Obviously if a pregnant Mom is working out regularly and gains 40 pounds she has more muscle than a pregnant Mom that doesn't work out and gains 40 pounds. And the food you eat I also believe has a lot to do with it. I think if you have a very good, high protein, low sugar diet you will gain a good amount of weight and make a baby that is the perfect size for your body.
Of my four pregnancies (listed above) I had the very best diet with #3. I went to an OB for #1 and #2 and we know how much they know about nutrition
so I was given no dietary guidelines and just ate whatever I wanted.
When pregnant with #3 I followed my MWs nutritional rules to the T. No sugar, plenty (70-100) grams of protein per day, no empty calories, plenty of veggies and fruits low on the glycemic index. I gained 20 pounds and had an 8 pound 8 ounce baby
I think that is the perfect size for me
I also lost 23 pounds by 3 weeks after the birth and looked great, if I do say so myself

With my 4th pregnancy I had a baby attached to my boob and wasn't able to get to the gym to exercise and I was more lax in my diet. I only gained 28 pounds which isn't bad but I also lost muscle throughout that pregnancy so I gained more fat. I had a 9 pound 8 ounce baby which I think is still a good size but a bit harder than my 8/8 baby (fast labor but more painful pushing). I found it much more difficult to lose the weight after my 4th baby and my body was much more squishy
:

This time I am working out 4 times a week and eating very well. I am avoiding sugar and trying to get as much protein in as I can. I am not worried about the weight I will gain or the size of my baby because I know if I am doing everything in my power to eat well and exercise everything will be fine. I think it will be interesting to see how much weight I will gain and how big this baby will be.

Blessings,
Keri

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
I would say eat as healthy as you can and let the chips fall where they may.
:

Can I play even if I haven't had four? I want 4. Does that count?

Baby #1 - started off heavier pre-pregnancy, gained 38 lbs. baby weighed 7 pounds, 2 ounces.
Baby #2 - Started off at good weight for me, gained 35, baby weighed 7 lbs, 8 oz.
Baby #3 - Started off at good weight for me, (lost 22 lbs in pregnancy,) but ended up gaining 23 lbs., 8 lbs, 6 oz.

So far the bigger the babies are the easier they are for me to push out. They're just SO squishy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts