Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promissed this for Shine:

Quoting from MW Camellia May

Quote:
The people of the Faroe Islands north of Norway have the world's longest pregnancies, which means they have the world's lowest incidence of premature births. This summation gives some of their sources at the end. For well-nourished white women we ask them to stop their fish oil supplements at 36 weeks, we've had a few go to 43 weeks taking them...
Here is the summery of that study:
http://altmed.creighton.edu/Omega3FA/evidence.html

Something else caught my eye:
PGE2 is a prostaglandin found primarily in higher concentration within the male semen.

Quote:
Certain prostaglandins normally produced in the human body (especially PGF2 and PGE2) are partially responsible for initiating labor at the end of pregnancy.

· Registered
570 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
I promissed this for Shine:

Quoting from MW Camellia May

Here is the summery of that study:
http://altmed.creighton.edu/Omega3FA/evidence.html

Something else caught my eye:
PGE2 is a prostaglandin found primarily in higher concentration within the male semen.
hmmmm - I took omega's (3-6-9) before this pg - and switched to DHA (3's) for the duration of the pg - had my guy 1 day early!

didn't read the study you linked though.....

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
hmmmm - I took omega's (3-6-9) before this pg - and switched to DHA (3's) for the duration of the pg - had my guy 1 day early!

didn't read the study you linked though.....
I don't want to put anyone on the defense. I think every women will react to their diets differently. I'm just trying to help come up with a reason why some women gestate longer than others. I think the focus on this study is 'preterm labor'. Those at high risk for preterm labor favored well after taking the Omega supplement.

· Registered
5,936 Posts
Yeah, well I had flax oil throughout and had mine at 41 weeks.
So did my grandmother. These studies are always questionable because that is a SMALL population that may be somewhat genetically homogenous... are they all one ethnicity? That might just be what their people do, grow babies for a long time inside, you know?

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
well, darn, you just can't win eh? I mean, I want a smart, healthy baby and all.... Maybe I will stop those DHA supplements until I deliver though.
Thanks Fruitful...I thought the same as emma but decided I took those the entire pregnancy so stopping only a week or two before baby is born won't hurt much for the smarts, but may help get this baby out sooner. So I did stop taking my EPA/DHA yesterday. It can't hurt to try, I"m desperate at this time. There were ALOt of different circumstances with DD's pregnancy to this one which could be why DD was early...I was working full time on my feet all day till a week before she was born, I didn't take EPA/DHA, I did alot of perenial massage with EPO, and DTD alot as I didn't have the yeast problems I have now...and maybe she was just ready sooner...can't explain it but can do the natural things I can to see if it helps this babe come before EDD on Friday, Accupuncture starts on Tuesday...

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Thanks Fruitful...I thought the same as emma but decided I took those the entire pregnancy so stopping only a week or two before baby is born won't hurt much for the smarts, but may help get this baby out sooner. So I did stop taking my EPA/DHA yesterday. It can't hurt to try, I"m desperate at this time. There were ALOt of different circumstances with DD's pregnancy to this one which could be why DD was early...I was working full time on my feet all day till a week before she was born, I didn't take EPA/DHA, I did alot of perenial massage with EPO, and DTD alot as I didn't have the yeast problems I have now...and maybe she was just ready sooner...can't explain it but can do the natural things I can to see if it helps this babe come before EDD on Friday, Accupuncture starts on Tuesday...
You know, EdnaMarie made a great point about genitics playing an important role in this study. I didn't want to throw anyone off course, if a mother feels its best for her to continue supplements then I fully support that choice. I didn't want you to feel like I was being overtly (whats the word? 'annoying' maybe).

I hope I said that right. I'm feeling very off right now so I'm not being very articulate.

Hope all goes well at the Accupuncturist!
:

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
You know, EdnaMarie made a great point about genitics playing an important role in this study. I didn't want to throw anyone off course, if a mother feels its best for her to continue supplements then I fully support that choice. I didn't want you to feel like I was being overtly (whats the word? 'annoying' maybe).

I hope I said that right. I'm feeling very off right now so I'm not being very articulate.

Hope all goes well at the Accupuncturist!
:
True, but like I said for me can't hurt to try one more thing to get this baby out!!!

· Registered
3,328 Posts
WOW! I got to 41+4 with DD. I had untreated hypothyroidism (found out in retrospect) and was craving and eating a TON of sushi (like 4+ times a week from week 9 until birth) - no doubt for the iodine my struggling thyroid was needing, especially the oily fish varieties. I wonder if it made a difference having so much oily fish...? V. interesting to consider, thanks.

· Registered
3,210 Posts
Interesting. Not in your DDC, but I have a relevant comment: I started taking DHA supplements at about 30 weeks (did not know I needed them until then when the Midwife mentioned it). I had my baby 15 days late. I was induced, which isn't ideal, but I wonder if the supplements had anything to do with being that late? I am still taking them, as I heard they are important for nursing, too.

· Registered
3,348 Posts
I had heard something like this. I stopped taking them a couple of weeks ago. I'll start up again after the baby is born for the nursing benefits.

FYI. EPO contains GLA (an omega 6 fatty acid)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.