Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, DS will be 3 in July and decided that he wants to sleep in his room. It is just down the hall from our bedroom. He has coslept since birth and never showed any interest in sleeping alone. We asked him if he wanted to move his car bed to his room and sleep there, and he was (is) very enthusiastic about it. This is great because he is a very light sleeper and I was a bit worried with the new babe coming late July/early August. Anyway, the problem is that he is waking up every 2 hours or so and yelling for me. I come to his room, pat his back (sometimes not even that) and he is asleep again in 30 seconds. I on the other hand am not! So, any tips? He told me today that he just needs me to check on him. Cute now, but not at 3 in the morning. He's been in there almost a week now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No real advice her, just hugs!<br>
We are in similiar boat with 2.5yr old DS moved himself out of our family bed into his own room at about 22months and still continues to wake every 2-3 hours to "check in".<br>
I've tried to get him to come back into our bed to sleep the rest of the night after first waking, but he insists on being in his room.<br>
so I am stuck walking the hall at all hours of the night, ugh!<br>
any advice i'd love to hear it!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody has advice, huh? I am really getting discouraged, and I think DS is too. In fact, last night after multiple wakings, and I was just exhausted, I got him to just come back to the "big bed" with us where he slept very well from 3:30-7:30. He then said that he was going to sleep in the big bed tonight. I will not push him to sleep in his room if he wants to stay with us, but I feel like he wants to sleep in his room, but is struggling with how to do it, kwim? Any thoughts on this at all??

·
Registered
359 Posts
Maybe try telling him (during the day and before bed) that you will check on him while he is sleeping. Our daughter generally wakes up at 12:30 and wants my husband to sleep with her (which he is fine with doing...he gets better sleep than with me and the seven month old!) but we've occasionally said, "Tonight if you wake up you're going back to sleep in your own bed and papa is going to sleep in his bed," and she sometimes doesn't wake up at all (or at least we aren't aware of it).<br><br>
So maybe if he knows that you're checking on him anyway he'll be reassured and won't wake or won't need you!<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Can your dp/dh sleep in his room while he transitions? I think that is what we will do.<br><br>
Good luck.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Have you tried walkie talkie or reverse video monitor? Just a couple ideas. No idea if they would be successful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts