Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a white flowering crab right smack dab in the middle of the front yard. Because of where it sits, it making it very hard to plan other tree planting.<br><br>
It was on death's door when we bought the house last year but it now looks healthy and beautiful and will likely grow to be a very nice tree. I imagine its a variety that will reach 20 - 30 feet as that seems to be what's most predominant in our area. I haven't confirmed the variety however. I absolutely HATE where it sits though. I'm thinking of moving it. From what I've researched, I should only need to dig a root ball apx 24"wide by 12" deep. The trunk is about 2" and its about 6' high.<br><br>
Anyone here have any experience moving trees successfully? Do those figures sound right? I'm just moving it about 10-15 feet to a better location - asthetically.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
we moved a pretty good side boxwood and what we did was went out and dug around where we wanted the rootball to be, just cut through the dirt, not digging a trench but cutting the roots that were outside the rootball area then we walked away from it for the growing season so that it would be forced to grow more roots in the rootball area, then we actually dug it up and moved it. it worked and survived.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've had better luck with bigger holes. I know it gets harder and you need more help but I'd probably go at least a foot more each way. Not sure what books say or anything, that's just personal experience!<br><br>
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did it. Only had one larger root break as we were getting it out. It wasn't terribly big though, so I'm not really worried.<br><br>
Crossing fingers that it lives a long and heathly life! It looks so much better where it is now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts