Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we get closer to my the baby's arrival I am wondering if we should move or wait a little bit. We had a set back after my husband was scammed of our moving savings by someone claiming to be the owner of the house. I was surprised when I heard about all this but I guess the guy was very convincing... We had looked at the house and applied with the company, which is totally legitimate, and since he had never been cheated like that before, he was trusting of the guy. In any case, what is done is done and although the uncertainty about not knowing where we are moving with our newborn is a little difficult for me, I trust it will be OK.

Me and my husband were planning to move at the end of our lease (end of Dec.) which would be not too long after the arrival of our first child. Its such an exciting time right now as we prepare for our home birth, which feels like it could come on any day, and my due date is a few days away (have been having some pre-labor contractions for about a week or two).

Where we live now is really nice as it is an old stone house and the property is beautiful, however my husband is driving an hour each way for work so we decided on moving closer. The reason for moving so soon after the baby's arrival was because the lease ended. Where we hope to move is a more pricy area, and would be more urban, so we are looking at one bedroom apartments, basements, and likely in more urban areas (we both prefer to be as far from the city as possible).

We have looked at a few places and actually decided on one. However, we were scammed for a great deal of money yesterday which would make moving to any place tough financially. It came out of the blue, but I am sure there is a reason for it. However, I do feel more stressed about moving now:( While its still possible to make it through moving next month, I wonder if it is the best option.

Our landlord would be happy if we stay on a month to month basis at the home we are at and after the scam situation we lost most of our savings for the move and I am wondering if it is the right time. If we stay here we could be a few months before deciding. Perhaps when the baby is older (older than a month or two at least) It will be a better time to move, and we have been fine with the commute so it would not be a problem in the short term.

I wonder if it is a good idea to plan on moving to a house or apartment at the end of the year, or deciding to stay here until we are ready. The first month we don't have much support in terms of family or friends, and I imagine my husband, who will work from home, will be feeling a bit stretched. Since we have the option of staying here and moving seems overwhelming with the baby, and with my husband having to do a lot that month (I am not sure how we will manage to move the piano) I almost feel that we should stay and wait a month or two to prepare to move. At the same time, we have been planning to move for a few months and we would probably make it ok. I did like the home we are looking at, although it is in an urban area, I can picture us living there for a year, and we can find a way to afford it even after the significant loss. I feel like the certainty would help a lot, but starting to think we should stay put a little longer so that this stress is not there.

Is it better to stay here on a month to month basis until we find the right place and get caught up financially, or go ahead and move now.
It seems like decisions are much much harder to make when pregnant!


Any advice on what to chose would be very much appreciated:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
I would suggest that you wait at least a couple of months before moving. You will need, at the very least, three weeks to heal yourself. In my personal experience, it took me twice as long to heal after my first than my second or third baby. Moving is stressful, and crazy and I would worry that you would miss those precious first weeks with baby because you would be stressed out and busy with the move. Good luck with your decision and looming birth!! Homebirth is the best!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
We moved 6 days after my first child was born. At the time it seemed totally doable. Now I wonder if I missed out on alot of sweet newborn cuddles packing and unpacking. I say wait (even though I did it myself).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will be moving! I suppose thats just the way it was meant to go, still looking forward to the birth. I hope I can fully trust in everything going as it is meant too, as with waiting for the birth. I did't imagine I would be feeling so ready for the birth and wanting things to happen sooner than later. Its a wonderful time though, and my body has been working for the past two or three weeks with pre labor contractions. Thankfully moving allowed me to not have to much trouble with getting deferred from Jury duty... it seems that would have been a difficult situation to deal with but it worked out.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top