Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm not actually a single mom, but I will be the primary parent for my daughter for the next year. I figure some people here will have insight. Here is our story (it is cross posted from Childhood Years)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My daughter and I will be moving to St. Louis from Utah at the end of this month. We will be moving for her to attend a better school (she is deaf and it will be a wonderful private school that she attended over the summer). The biggest concern is that Daddy will not be coming with us. He has to stay here for work, but will be visiting once a month for a week as well as her spending all breaks back in Utah.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, I am looking for ways to make this move less painful for her. We are already talking about it, but this is a huge life change and I know that it will affect her, even long term. We are doing this for her future, which she won't understand, but I want her to continue to feel safe and loved and happy.</p>

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
<p>Webcams/Skype, so they can have face-to-face visits, and use a website like pogo, to play board or  card games together.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>They could letter mail each other, too. He could send her stickers, gum, a few silly bands, etc. She could draw pictures for him. Or get her a kids' camera so she can take pictures of things she wants to talk to him about. Give her a picture of him in a frame, that she can keep in her room.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Have a calendar up on the wall, with the week of his visit marked. She can cross off the days, or she can just see that it's written down. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Make sure you have enough to do on weekends... that might be where time starts to drag or you'll feel his absence more. Maybe make an 'Adventure Day' where you pick an area to go walk around in & see if you find a cafe or a neat park. then when you find a place you enjoy, make a plan to show it to Daddy... all of a sudden, she's the expert on the new town.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I can't think of anything else, I hope this helps! I hope all goes smoothly with the move, good luck!</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts