Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I do think the discussion is relevant, it was not really what the OP was looking for.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">So, dragging the thread even more away from the OP's question...<br><br>
I think that perhaps it really depends on the from whom/where the doula got her training, and what she has inside of her, whether or not she'll do well in midwifery.<br><br>
I am a doula. I attend primarily hospital births. HOWEVER, many, if not most, of those births are attended by midwives (who trust birth)...and easily 95% of the mothers have read extensively and/or attended some really good out of hospital birthing classes. This makes my job a lot easier. I also think that, having been trained by ALACE, I was trained to be sure that my clients are educated, and can make informed choices. I was trained that being hands on and being supportive are not synonomous, nor are they mutually exclusive. For me hands on is touching if they need touch, not doing VE's to check where they are. Because, if I'm doing my job correctly and paying attention to her cues, most of the time I can tell you where she is.</td>
</tr></table></div>
We sound like we practice very much the same. But I'm not only a DONA doula but their Alaska State Representative. It does have some to do with what training we have but I think it is more, what type of person we are and what experiences we have had, not only in our doula careers but in our lives.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
I agree. Which is why I'm happy to have my partner to back me up in the rare case of not being able to make a birth due to illness, another birth, emergency, whatever. She's DONA trained. Inside, she trusts birth. That's what I think is the most important part of any doula's birth kit...any doula, anyway, who is looking to support mothers who trust birth. AND any doula who is studying to become, and will have the primary responsibility as a midwife some day.<br><br>
It's my experience that, just like there are CBE's willing to toe the hospital line, and there are doulas who love epidurals, there are midwives who have the thought processes of a scary-non-evidence-based-practice-OB. It takes all kinds to make this world. Actually, the benefit of that is that there are all kinds of doulas and midwives to support the women who need something different than "we" can provide. The downside being that some women may (as I did with my first birth) think that CNM=EVIDENCE BASED CARE every time. Or that doula=evidence based care, every time. That's not the case, but if they don't know that, it could make for a very disappointing outcome for them! That's why I suggest a few interviews before a client makes a decision. I'd REALLY rather they hire somebody else than choose me and have us be a poor fit for each other!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts