Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi everybody! I've been registered on this site for a while now but haven't been a poster. But I'm in a pickle and hope you can give me some reassurance. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I just found out I'm pregnant. Not sure about EDD yet, but I'm guessing late July (?). My family will be moving to Dutch Harbor/Unalaska in May or June, so my prenatal care will need to be transferred at that time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd like to find a homebirth midwife. So far, my internet searches haven't come up with much in that area. Do any of you have resources/knowledge you could share? I'm looking for a midwife who is willing to attend a primary VBAC (my first baby--in '08--was breech and my midwives here in the lower 48 had transferred me out to an MD, who insisted on a C-section).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not comfortable with an unassisted primary VBAC, so I do hope I can find a midwife...</p>

·
Registered
630 Posts
<p>You are unlikely to find a midwife *in* dutch harbor. More likely they will refer you to Anchorage. If I'm not mistaken I think they have more of a 'clinic' than a hospital there... they don't do deliveries and there won't be a 'homebirth community'... you may wish to consider that in event of a transfer there wouldn't be much they could do for you.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There are a few ladies here who went to Anchorage to wait out their deliveries... I did that once and then opted to stay locally in my rural community. You might ask them for advice.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I found this <a href="http://www.ifhs.org/" target="_blank">website</a> and it has a phone number for their medical director - 581-1202. I'd give them a call and see what the facilities are like there and what s/he might say for your specific situation & needs.</p>

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Oh my. The thought that there wouldn't be support for me never even occurred to me. I just thought I was looking in the wrong places. Yikes. Thank you so much for the heads-up!! I can't imagine spending time in Anchorage would work for my family, but I'll look into my options. And I'll contact the resource you shared. Thank you!</p>

·
Registered
630 Posts
<p>Good luck. In the rural, roadless communities (such as dutch harbor) it is really not that uncommon if you are a VBAC, or have complications to be "transferred" to Anchorage for care simply because the people/facility is not able to adequately address your care needs and possible complications.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The 'waiting it out' in Anchorage is very inconvenient but not that bad... depends on if you work, how many/how old your other kids are. Typically a place will provide prenatal care up til 36 weeks and then you go to town to wait until delivery.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I lived in Bethel (also rural, roadless) for 7 years and they shipped out any higher risk, VBAC, uncontrolled diabetes, known c-section, etc. out to Anchorage because the hospital wasn't equipped to deal with higher risk obstetrics (I had 3 babies, one an eventual emergency c-section, out there) Anyway - Dutch is very small and you may find one or two UC-type people - maybe - but as far as midwives, external support - I'm guessing not.</p>

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
<p>I would see if I could get a travelling midwife, were I you. Sorry I'm not much help. :(  </p>

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
<p>Oh, this is complicated. I have only been to Dutch once for a few days. Definitely a SMALL community and I'm not even sure if they would deliver there anyway. Might send you to Anchorage or just set you up for a repeat.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Alaska complicates things for us VBACers by not allowing Midwives to attend them at home. Only in hospitals and we have very few CNM's at that.</p>
<p>As far as I know, there are no midwives in Dutch anyway.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What about a Traveling Midwife?</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts