Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!!! Ooooooh, dh has a job interview! We'll see what happens but we are excited. It would be in Bell Plaine. I need some help!!! Our family needs to have a raw milk source and organic produce, grassfed beef, free range chickens etc. Can someone please help me out? I looked on realmilk.com but all the sources are pasteurized! What's up with that? Can I find a source or will I be buying a cow?

Also, what can anyone tell me about the area? I think it's near Iowa City and Cedar Rapids somewhat? What real estate company should I contact if this works out?

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bell Plaine is somewhat near IA City and Cedar Rapids. Will probably take you 30 - 45 min to drive to either one. I don't know about the raw milk. As for realtors, you could use Iowa Realty or Skogman. Those are two of the bigger real estate companies here. Best wishes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hi...i'm not familiar with bell plaine but if you can get to iowa city there is the pioneer coop and they sell the stuff that you need...outside of ya know...buying a farm

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is illegal to sell raw milk in Iowa. It really stinks. I have been looking for a place that sells it for years now but have had no luck. Sorry.

Oh and we just bought a house in Iowa City from Jeff Edberg at Coldwell Banker. He was really, really great.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Organic produce is usually quite easy to find. You can start at your local farmer's markets or http://www.localharvest.org/ .

As someone said, it is illegal to sell unpasturized milk in Iowa. I've heard of people in other states buying/renting a "share" of a cow, to get around that type of law. Then, you're not buying the raw milk from the farmer. The farmer is just milking your cow for you and giving you your share of that milk. I don't now if anyone in Iowa does that, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.