Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone on the Ovusoft AP board suggested checking this one out......I feel like I've died and gone to parenting heaven!

We are moving to Lowell in a few weeks. I need resources! I've been looking for a family doctor there for some time, with no luck. We want a more holistic, AP-friendly type.....one who takes insurance is a must for us.

Also need to find a LLL group that works for us and we'd love to find some like-minded families to have playdates with.

We also would love any information about CSAs/Farmers' Markets.

Oh, and homeschooling groups.

I've found some of this stuff online, but personal recommendations are always such a huge help.

Thanks for any advice, in advance! Just FYI, we have two little boys, ages 3 and 4, and our third child is due around Thanksgiving (I do have a great homebirth midwife who can travel to Lowell).

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Well, an early welcome to the area then!

We're about 40 minutes south/SW.

- Krista

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Welcome! We live in the town over. I have been to a LLL meeting in Lowell near Cross Point Towers. It was awhile ago so I dont have any contact info but I'm sure you can find it easily online or something. There is a farmers market in Westford during the spring and summer every tuesday from 2 -6pm. I'm not in any homeschool circles but i do know that a bunch of homeschool groups meet up at 'One Stop Fun' in Westford every Wednesday.

Id love to meet up at the Phesant Lane mall at some point once you are settled - they have a nice (and free) playplace. My daughter is 3 1/2.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
hi! im 15 mins from lowell, my dd is just over 2.....would love to get together with you guys once you get settled in. im also friends with another mdc mama who would probably love to tag along too, her dd is going to be 3 in a month or so.

we use dr horowitz, which is 30 mins from us so would be more like 45 for you (danvers), depending on where in lowell you live, he is a homeopathic md, so does both sides, he is fine with vax/select/no vax and bf friendly and does take ins.

i know there is a farm a few exits up past lowell on 495 that i passed a sign for csa a few weeks ago. the name of it might come to me...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses! We'll be sure to make contacts once we get all settled in.

I've actually tried Dr. Horowicz.....my chiropractor recommended him, but he's not accepting new patients. We also tried an osteopath in Tewksbury, but she's not quite what we're looking for. Honestly, I'd just be happy with a good family doctor who will listen with a relatively open ear and let me get on with the business of raising my kids the best way I know how!

I actually need someone in a bit of a hurry. I've been battling some GI thing and my midwife sent me to the ER for fluids and Zofran last week (7 weeks pregnant).....I'm vomiting again this AM and I need to follow up with a doctor.

Anyone know a great family doc who is at least friendly, open and wouldn't fight delayed-vacs and child-led weaning?

Thank-you, ladies!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi there,

We actually live in Lowell. In the highlands. We use Dr. O'Brien a family doctor near Saints Medical center. He is great as far as listening and referring to the right people. His office staff is also great.. As far as my ob, we travel to Nashua, NH. I think that you will find that Lowell is a great place to live with so many cultural activities.. I would love to meet up at the mall after the twins are born.. Good luck and let me know how I can help.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I used to live in Lowell and my family went to a doctor called Dr. Tavares...he's an "older" old-fashioned family doctor....gentle. Private practice in Lowell. Not sure about taking new patients, etc. Great nursing staff I remember (that says alot coming from a nurse!) Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi and welcome! We live in the Pawtucketville section of Lowell. I am also a LLL Leader in Lowell --- we meet the first Thursday of the month at Temple Emanuel in the Highlands. I am happy to add you to our bulletin list!

There are several homeschooling groups around. I would join a list like Merrimack Valley Home Learners to get notices about events in the area. There are playground days all summer. I have a 6 1/2 year-old son and we are members of Voyagers in Acton (about 30 minutes away) as well.

There is also a group called Mill City Moms (I think they are an MSN group) who meet regularly, both for playdates and moms' evenings.

There are free children's activities in Lowell all summer long; we try to get to as many as we can. We love it here! PM me and I can fill you in!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
We just moved out of Lowell last summer; it is a nice little city, just not right for our family right now. Last summer we were members of a CSA. I don't know how to post a link, but here's the contact info and you can use the address there or google "world peas Lowell" and probably hit on the right site.

Matthew Himmel
www.nesfp.org
978-654-6745

There's a lot of great stuff going on in Lowell--minor league baseball (The Lowell Spinners), which is VERY child-friendly and in a beautiful stadium downtown, minor league hockey, lots of downtown festivals, and the Lowell YMCA where we catch open swim occasionally.

I wish I could help on the doctor situation, but we're pretty mainstream medically so the pediatrician we adore would possibly not work for you. Although she was very supportive of breastfeeding and non-circing. I'm not sure how she feels about non-vaxing, as our kids are vaccinated. Her name is Alena Ashenberg and she is located in Dracut, if you want to research her further.

Enjoy your move--how exciting to get into a place you're so thrilled about!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The farmer's market is opening tomorrow in westford. 3-7pm. Its a great place to meetup. There is music and lots of kids and snacks.

We will be there every tuesday if anyone wants to meetup - send me a note and we can setup something.

Hope to meet in person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug View Post
Welcome! We live in the town over. I have been to a LLL meeting in Lowell near Cross Point Towers. It was awhile ago so I dont have any contact info but I'm sure you can find it easily online or something. There is a farmers market in Westford during the spring and summer every tuesday from 2 -6pm. I'm not in any homeschool circles but i do know that a bunch of homeschool groups meet up at 'One Stop Fun' in Westford every Wednesday.

Id love to meet up at the Phesant Lane mall at some point once you are settled - they have a nice (and free) playplace. My daughter is 3 1/2.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after looooong delays involving an emergency appendectomy and building issues, we are FINALLY moving to Lowell this week.

Thanks for all the posts. We're quite looking forward to being there, I have missed living in the city so much.

I'm still looking for a doctor that feels right, and need a dentist, a chiropractor and an optometrist. Keep the suggestions coming! I'm actually getting a little worries that I don't have a family phys who does OB as a backup to my homebirth plan. I'd hate to transfer to an unfamiliar (and probably hostile) OB's care in an emergency.....I'd prefer to have someone sympathetic to cover.

Thanks for the offers for playdates! Once we're settled (next week?), I'll send out some PMs and begin the fun job of building a friend network!!!! Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just thought I'd pop in here...found this thread in a search...moving to Lowell next week and looking for some of the same answers! Maybe a bump will help. Urgently need childcare for two boys, 4 and 3, although the 3-year-old has a placement until at least Christmas... If anyone knows of someone who could help out, that would be great! Hours needed are 11-6 daily, with possible early pickup several days a week. Thanks!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, MommyMuse,
Glad you bumped me...I've been so busy settling in, I've only managed to make it to one LLL meeting since we moved. I need to follow up on the homeschooling tips as ODS's Kindergarden days are drawing ever nearer.....I'd love to do a co-op or something.

Can't help in the childcare dept, MommyMuse, as I'm a SAHM, but I'll keep my ears open.

We're STILL looking for a family doctor, but the practice that we've been going to, albiet not terrifically happy with, has hired a new doctor that we saw a few weeks ago and we really clicked with her.....so maybe one found us!

I still need SOMEONE who does OB work (prefer a family Doc, but whatever at this point) to back up my midwife-assisted home birth (I'm nearly 28 weeks!!!). I'm not too comfortable with the idea of facing an ER full of judgemental faces and no-one even slightly familiar if there is a reason to transfer at the last minute. My last Fam Doc was fantastic...she backed up the homebirth, I brought my chart to her after every MW appt, AND she came to our house to do Jonathan's first ped. check-up.

One more question: We're looking for places to do gymnastics and ballet.....on a budget. The local Y doesn't do gym, which is too bad. We've always joined the Y, but I don't think it's a good fit for us here. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
MammaG,
We have always been a Y family, too...but I checked out Greater Lowell and was not super impressed. I, too, am looking for activities for the kids...mostly mornings or evenings, as my afternoons will be spent working outside the home. Good news, though...I found a childcare provider! My boyfriend's provider could not take my son due to a schedule conflict (she has a year left to earn her BA in Early Childhood Education), but her class starts later this fall and she can take him until 5:30! YAY! I feel very comfortable with this arrangement as the kids can be dropped off/picked up together and she's been watching P for two years already.
I would love to get together with you once we're settled in a bit; PM me and I will give you my number! My e-mail is [email protected] if you'd like to drop me a line or add me on Facebook!

--Kristina

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi MamaG,

I presume by this point you had your baby. I hope everything went well. Did you find an OB to back you up?

BTW, for gymnastics, I don't know if Westford would be too far, but the town center place has Gymnastics on the cheap - Roudenbush.

My OB is in Chelmsford and a nice guy. Not sure how he feels about homebirth but I had a a drug free birth and had a birth plan and felt like he would be ok with that. Though I had a doc on call at Lowell General who was ok but not the best. I had a doula and am glad for it.

Leela

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.