Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to Manhattan in September for DH's job and I was wondering where is a good location for me to find lots of moms to bond with? I am a new mom and will really need to get out and connect. We are looking at the UWS and midtown areas since DH will be working in the Bryant park area. Any suggestions or tips on areas and how to get in touch with moms when I get there? Please tell me this will be easy to do!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi flavorful! Where in NC are you from? I'm originally from Wilmington and visit my family in Raleigh all the time.
I'm expecting my first child so I haven't actually joined any mothering groups here in the city but there are LOADS!! Seriously, just start googling.
babybites.com
realbirth.com
prenatalyogacenter.com
lelecheleague.com

Just to name a few. There are groups all over the city and I will be joining once my little man is here in May. And from what I hear parks are also a great place to meet moms. Especially in Sept. The weather will still be nice then so you'll see lot's of baby carriages!

Good luck on your move!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I expect to be moving to NYC around then too... UWS to live with my parents at least for a while... I'm from there but have had my kids in Cali so not a lot of advice except that there are all types in NYC!

Someone else mentioned the API-NYC yahoo group when I asked a while back. I joined and can see that there are monthly meetings and also an UWS toddler playgroup.

How old are your DCs? I have a 5yo DS and a 10-mo DD.

-Emma

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'd look into La Leche League, the Attachment Parenting group (I love the API-NYC yahoo group, the conversations are fascinating!), and Slings in the City (the babywearing group). A lot of the libraries have story time...that's a great way to meet moms who live really close to you.

I've met a bunch of moms just by going about my life--at the grocery store, at the park, and in my building.

It will be easier than you think; don't stress about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.