Mothering Forum banner

moving to New Braunfels Texas SOON!

484 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  ambernchris 
#1 ·
What a year!!! First we thought we were moving to Washington State(but hated the RAIN)....then it was North Carolina (but hated the humidity)...so we finally settled somewhere in the middle
We have decided on New Braunfels Texas. We plan on moving there by the first or second week in September(actually we just put an offer on a home today!), coming from Southern California. I would like to meet other mommas that will live nearby, as we wont really know anybody yet. I have a 4 year old daughter and a 15 month old son. We are kinda scared because I dont think that there are many like minded people in Texas (regarding no circ&delaying/selective/no vax)Which is why I need to build up my support base
Coming from So CAL (where pretty much anything goes) it will be hard living somewhere where most people are not tolerant of my views.

Hope to talk to some of ya soon!!

Jill

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck w/ your move! I am from the San Antonio area and we *plan* on moving back down that way by next summer. We are actually in WA state (seattle area) now and have been for over 2.5 years. And it doesn't
: that much!
(it really doesn't) We will actually miss rain and seasons...kinda hard to let it all go since, imho, WA state is wonderful and such an amazing place to live! (day trips to Portland AND Vancouver??? pretty fun!)
:

As for like minded people..there is an API group..think they meet in NB too..also search yahoo groups and you'll find them (and other like minded mamas) I tried posting to this forum and it's not very active w/ mamas in that area...but I know they are out there! Austin seems very ap friendly..so you can always hang out there too! We are actually gonna move to Austin (instead of SA) due to dh in school (but may even stay if he gets into UW). I'd also try www.thebabywearer.com There are lots of TXn's on there too!
HTH!

Good luck...hope things work out well for you!!

#3 ·
I have tons of family in New Braunfels, though I live 5 hours away. We visit there often and will be there in early September. I know that there's a WAHM that participated in the GCDH that has a shop with cds and such there in NB. I can't remember who for the life of me now, but I'll ask my cousin b/c I linked her to the website. I don't think you'll have any trouble hooking up with other AP or blended mamas. I think that they should be tolerant of your views (in general). I've never gotten anything but positive comments about my cds and slings when I'm there. Even if they are only being nice they aren't rude to my face kwim. There are tons of things to do with little ones there. Landa Park is my FAV place to take the kiddos. We actually had a joined bday party for my kids there this summer. DS1 LOVES the train that runs on the weekends. I really can't say enough about that town. I think you'll love it! If you need anything please lmk! Oh, and if you have animals my uncle is a vet there

#5 ·
I'm just outside of Austin. I hope you will like New Braunfels, there is a lot to do there.

Wow, if I lived in New Braunfels, I'd probably get Schlitterbahn season passes. And then go on days when it's not as crowded (like overcast or rainy days).

New Braunfels also hosts Wurstfest, a German-flavored festival in the fall. Lots of sausage, lots of beer, lots of oom-pah bands.

Texas in general does seem rather intolerant of "different" ideas. But being so close to Austin may help that out some.

Good luck!

#6 ·
Hi, mama! I am in San Marcos, about 15 minutes north of NB. You will LOVE it there. We almost bought a house there - it is the most darling community. There is an API chapter (I am going to my first meeting this month!), a natural birth center (I believe), and a real, live, honest-to-goodness cloth diaper shop. Let me know when hit NB - I have an 18 mo DD and we would love to meet you.

BTW - the I-35 corridor from Austin to SA seems to be one of the "crunchier" parts of the state. You will be in good company!

#7 ·
I LOVE New Braunfels! The McKenna Children's Museum is absolutely fabulous. We're in San Antonio, but we go up there pretty regularly, and there is a fabulous park with a big old fashioned swimming hole. It's still Texas with Texas weather (ugh) but it's a pretty cool place for TX. They have AP parenting activities up there pretty regularly, I think. We went to a big API shin dig with slings and such being sold there about a yr ago. PM me when you get here; maybe we can get together. I have a 2.5 yr old and a 15 month old. Welcome!

#8 ·
New Braunfels has lots to offer! The afore-mentioned children's museum, API group, great LLL groups and leaders, a beautiful birth center (run by an awesome midwife), as well as things like Kindermusik classes and a gym that has toddler classes (if your're into having an activity with your toddler
).

San Marcos also has a great LLL group, a wonderful weekly farmer's market, and a cool new coffee house called Tantra that has an indoor playroom and a fenced-in yard with a swing set. We are there all the time.

Austin may be crunchier overall, but NB-SM also has a lot to offer -- you just have to know where to look. Feel free to PM me when you get here if you want to meet up for a playdate.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.