Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I need some help! DH and I live in Seattle although he has been relocated to Portland and currently lives there M-F...comes home on the weekend.

We are miserable being apart and with the new peanut it makes it even harder...

So I really want to move. I love Portland and I love Hood River. But I would prefer to live in Hood River...I think.

If we move to HR, DH would have an hour commute to PDX each way...sounds like a drag...although it's such a nice drive.

If we move to Portland...can those of you that live there tell me about the neighborhoods you live in or if you could move, which neighborhood would you move to. I'm going to start looking for houses and need some guidance...

If I were to move in Washington I'd move to Vashon Island, Freemont or Ballard...for those that are familiar with these, that gives you an idea of what I'm looking for.

I hope this makes some sense...I'm rambling and going on little sleep today...so thanks!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
i know someone who lives in hood river and works downtown in portland. she actually has an apartment in portland now because the commute is such a hassle. it IS a beautiful drive but in the winter it can get pretty gnarly with the rain and snow. plus with gas costs these days it would be pretty spendy

there are several (old) threads in this forum which talk about portland neighborhoods. i'm not familiar with the washington ones that you mentioned so i'm not sure what your interests are.

typically inner SE and NE portland are more pedestrian oriented with lots of local businesses and fewer big box stores. mostly old houses. NW is pricey. SW and beaverton/hillsboro are more car oriented living. a lot of bigger newer houses (but some old neighborhoods too). outside of central portland there are tons of rural areas if you wanted something less urban

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
My ex-dh worked in HR and we lived in Portland. It was a HUGE pain in the butt. Winters were horrible because traffic sucked. Some days he'd end up spending the night out there. At one point we ended up down to one car and I needed to have it during the day and so I'd have to drive him to work, drive back to Portland, drive back to HR to pick him up and then back to Portland again.

My dh now had a similar commute when we lived in CA, but there, you almost have to. I'd never do it again here.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
You could not pay me enough to make the HR-PDX commute every day! Yikes! It's going to be much more than an hour each way at peak traffic times, and if there's an accident or snow/ice.... Ug.

Move to Portland.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for your thoughts! I think I have a tendency to "idealize" things...I just envision a peaceful life in HR...I like the atmosphere there...hip and beautiful...I imagine it a great place to raise a child...I hear that there are quite a few "younger" people moving to the area, (more specifically, Bingen)...DH loves to windsurf and I really enjoyed it as well. It just seems like a healthy place to spend your days.

Your comments regarding the commute are very appreciated.

As far as neighborhoods in PDX, I'm inclined to a pedestrian friendly place, (where I live now, we have no sidewalks...so it's scary to go for a walk with traffic flying by you!)...with parks...cafes....library near by...small boutique type stores...no malls near by....good restaurants..."close" to PDX (airport) as DH is a pilot and flies out of it everyday...good schools...

I'm sure there's a place like that...

I'll do a search too and see what was mentioned in past threads...but still would appreciate further thoughts on neighborhoods in Portland. OH...and if we move there, we could afford a home at $350 max...but would prefer around the $250-$300 so we have room to breathe. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
We are supposed to be closing on our little house today, but I thought I'd chime in and offer my favorite way to search the local RMLS. Windermere allows you to search using their "property point" method, which allows you to use a map to locate properties with your criteria. Portland is a city where almost everything is close, but it sounds like you might really like some of the neighborhoods close to I-84 in the close in NE and SE. My take on it is that the NE is more of the polished, family type neighborhoods with a few pockets of funkier shops and residents. While the SE is a little edgier with more rental housing, lots of young folks, lots of young families, lots of cool businesses. Have fun looking. Both places are great and since the city is so accessible, it is easy to go from one neighborhood to another yet you almost don't need to.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
yep for proximity to the airport look in NE and SE portland. and at 300K you could get a very decent house in some locations. there are lots of different neighborhoods and many have a main 'high street' with shops and restaurants. places like Hawthorne, Belmont, Hollywood, Alberta, Fremont, 28th ave. there are tons of parks around too.

portland is great
and you can drive to HR on weekends

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I think you'd like NE; it fits your description perfectly: pedestrian friendly, library, stores, shops, cafes, good schools, and right on I-84 (and the MAX line, which goes to the airport!
)

I live in the Hollywood/Grant Park area of NE, don't have a car during the day (sometimes for a week when DH is out of town), and have no problem running all of our errands on foot. I rarely need to leave the neighborhood, actually.

PM me next time you're in Portland and I'd be happy to show you our neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
You know, in all the years of living in PDX I'd never been to NE until recently and OMG I was in heaven. Had I known that place existed I'd have moved there. The houses and neighborhoods were adorable! I'm also a fan of the Hawthorn district in SE and parts of SW are funky, but most of SW is yuppy-ish.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
check out st. johns area, too. parts of it are better than others, and it is one of the "new" up and coming areas, but very convenient to the airport on backroads (no freeways to deal with).

also the ainsworth, hollywood, and grant park neighborhoods in ne portland.

~claudia

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
I am looking into Portland as well (hiiiii jstar!). Could you name some zip codes for the Holywood area or other areas that you are discussing. I can;t seem to get a good search going; no real estate agent gives "hollywood" as a neighborhood or area.

Or even just street parameters...

Thanks!
Kathy

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I grew up between Portland and Hood River. I would totally choose PDX any day. Hood River is a little too close in attitude to the extremely tiny, super lame town I grew up in. You will find very many large men with mullets in large trucks and KC lights who would like to terrify your offspring, once they hit middle-to-high school age. This is not such a problem in Portland, to put it mildly. I agree with others who point out the winter problems - growing up, there were often days you couldn't get through the gorge via any route, or driving white-knuckled all the way.

Living in Seattle now, I would say that NW PDX and the Pearl District are the closest to Fremont and Ballard, as far as extremely dense, fairly upscale neighborhoods with the ability to walk to all of your necessary conveniences. I don't think many families live there though. In Portland you can actually buy a house though in many of the neighborhoods others suggest, and the transit system is far better than Seattle's, as in they actually have a great one...and there are sooo many cute old houses...sigh...that cost less than $500-600K...sigh...the only difference is that you would not find them as commercially dense and people-packed as "Frelard." They are cool in a different way.

Also, they do not have a Cupcake Royale. It's only a matter of time...

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboClaudia
real estate agents who don't have a neighborhood home search capability? that's weird... my friend is a realtor and has a really cool e-newsletter with home listings and it has neighborhood search capabilities. it's at www.ptownhomesearch.com and she's a super nice woman and mama and realtor, too.

~claudia

This is a real estate agent who won't let you search without giving them personal info, name and email addy. I avoid those, generally.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.