Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -
I am looking for a child-centered casual playgroup in the Rhinebeck area of Dutchess Co. I am a SAHM with an 11-month-old. Also, any pediatrician recommendations for delayed/selective vaxing? Any good ideas of places to go with baby?? I am so excited about moving there, I think it is sooo beautiful.
TIA!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi!

We are in Poughkeepsie... but I grew up in Hyde Park and know Rhinebeck pretty well (and really we are still close.) My sister lives in Red Hook and there is a playgroup... Red Hook moms? And there is a playgroup for very young children that meets at Northern Dutchess Hospital.

Not sure about a dr. I think there used to be a good one for no-vax in Kingston but he may be gone now.

I'm not much help, am I?
Let me know if you need me to dig up more info.

Not sure how far you are willing to travel to do stuff, but off the top of my head... the playground by the library in Rhinebeck is nice. Red Hook has a great pool. In the winter, there is the Mid Hudson Children's museum in Poughkeepsie and Kids Kingdom in Lagrange. These are a bit of a hike for you though... 40 minutes drive or so. Not sure exactly what is in Rhinebeck for kids, but it is a lovely town with GREAT food and stores (Stickles is my favorite! and Winter Sun!) Osaka has the best Japanese food around imo. And in the health food store there, there is a cafe that makes the BEST sandwich... avocado and havarti cheese with sunflower seeds, tomatos and lettuce. yum.

Ok enough of my rambling!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Veronica,
Good to meet you, every bit of info is so helpful. I did eat at Osaka once when I visited (and loved it), but all the others are news to me! Will have to try the health food store.
Ever hear of Musical Munchkins? I think it's down your way. It's like a music oriented play thing for kids I want to try. I don't mind a 40 min drive or so. I live in the Tampa area now and I feel like I'm always in the car to get to do anything worthwhile.
Ever eat at the CIA? My husband wants to go when we're in town next.
I would love the info on the red hook moms if you think of it when you talk to your sister.
Thank you!!
Susan

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
hi
I live in Portland, Or. But I saw your post about Rhinebeck and had to post. I grew up on the east coast and went to Bard College which is in Annandale -on -Hudson, NY. I just wanted to tell you what a beautiful part of upstate N.Y. you will be moving too. Enjoy it!

pauline

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yes I have heard of Musical Munchkins.... I think my son actually did it at his nursery school (I know he did one of those music classes, and I think it was that one,) and he LOVED it. There are also Music Together classes (www.musictogether.com) in Poughkeepsie, Kingston and Millbrook. Oh! And there is a Little Gym in Kingston (www.thelittlegym.com).

We have eaten at the CIA. It's great! St. Andrew's Cafe is supposed to be great. I've never been to that one, though, but from what I hear it is the best. My husband and I ate at the Escoffier Restaurant....

Oh! And the Mill House Panda has the best Chinese!
There is one in Rhinebeck and one in Poughkeepsie.

ok I could go on and on about food.
When are you moving here?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Veronica,
Thanks for the info on the music groups.
Hopefully I'll be there by spring or summer, if we could just SELL our house. This real estate stuff is getting annoying. We had a binder on a house in Rhinebeck, but it fell through because our house wasn't moving. Anyway, whenever it sells, we're ready!

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is a Music Together class in Saugerties as well. I'm not sure if thats closer to Rhinebeck than the other ones because I'm new to the area.
If your a knitter I'm sure you've heard of the excellent sheep and wool festival held every year in Rhinebeck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts