Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husbands company has announced major layoffs and cut backs. No surprise I am sure, but our option is to move to Santa Rosa.

Can anyone tell me what it is like to live there and where is a good area to look for houses that are not too expensive and still be in a good neighborhood for kids.

Thanks,
Wendy
Spokane WA

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi there,

Santa Rosa isn't bad. You can check out Montgomery Village-- they have a Whole Foods, a really nice park/playground, and a little shopping area. Prices are much more reasonable than they were a year ago. If you have to move to Santa Rosa, now is a good time to do it.

You could also check out some of the surrounding areas if you wanted to. Sebastopol isn't too far and is a bit "crunchier."

Good luck!

~Jen

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
I lived in Santa Rosa for 9 years, and my dad has lived there my entire life. It's my home. We just moved to Sacramento because of my husband's job and I miss SR so much.

Montgomery Village is a nice area but it's very pricey. I lived near there for awhile and I'd say it's probably one of the very best areas to live in especially for a family, but you'll be hardpressed to find even a small home for under $300k there, even with the falling house prices. Santa Rosa has several natural food stores, like four besides Whole Foods, so don't worry about that...no matter where you live you probably won't be too far from at least one of them.

Some of the new track housing areas in slightly less desirable areas (like near the fairgrounds, or on the outskirts of town near Fulton ave) are pretty affordable, and they are trying to make those areas more upscale so they are getting better and better. I would avoid the actual fairgrounds though, and anything near Apple Valley (steel lane and Gurnville road). West 9th is also a bad area, and some of the areas right around the mall near the railroad tracks aren't so great either. Other than that really, SR is pretty nice.

As for other towns, I'd recommend Rhonert Park over Petaluma. It's a little cheaper and pretty family oriented. Some of Petaluma is nice, but you pay a lot for the nice areas and the other notasnice areas are petty icky imo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.