Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we will be moving next month if all works out. dh works in fullerton, living with ILs right now in Tustin... what is an affordable/safe city to live in? we're moving from south dakota so it's a huge change for us! i also would like to find a ped/homeopathic doctor who will respect our decisions... i was looking and found some LLLs there
(which i'm excited about!) are there any other ap/nfl groups that meet? i have a 9 month old & 2 1/2 yr. old!

TIA

-Heidi

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamilkbar View Post
moving next month if all works out. dh works in fullerton, living with ILs right now in Tustin... what is an affordable/safe city to live in? we're moving from south dakota so it's a huge change for us! <>are there any other ap/nfl groups that meet? i have a 9 month old & 2 1/2 yr. old! -Heidi
hi heidi

depending where you land, there are lots of ap/nfl groups that meet. some are spinoffs from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/socalapfamilies ... which you could join and check out and ask about places to live, too, in addition to mdc.
we're in ventura county, which i like ... next county NW along the coast from LA. we're within an hour of LA, within an hour of Santa Barbara, so i like our location, not too far from either, but removed from the big city. dh's commute is 15 minutes and we feel safer "out here" than in the city. feel free to PM if you want, or just ask more here, either way. we've been in socal 3.5 years ... moved from montreal, quebec, husband's native city, where we lived 5 years as a family ... i'm a kentucky native. i know another ap mama in our local ap group who moved here from SD
...fwiw!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:

thank you

what is a good city that isn't too expensive..? and safe. I really am worried about the safety and cost of living. It is just so different there !
i can't shed too much light outside of ventura county, which isn't terribly near tustin
... i hope others will share ...

i can say that we feel safer in VC than we would closer in to the city. i feel lots safer at parks, for instance, letting my boys run free in the big green spaces. but you won't get big green spaces closer in to the city. and the few times i've been to city parks, it hasn't felt as safe to let them run, even if there *were* big green spaces. of course, i don't let them go long out of site even where we are.

as for cost of living ... other than housing, i can't say that it seems terribly more expensive here than other places i've lived (quebec, which had the highest sales tax in north america 15%; nashville tennessee; louisville kentucky).

i don't think i'm being a great deal of help, and i hope others will give you more info. there have been similar threads in the CA/NV area of finding your tribe, you might search on "california" etc...

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Sadly, nothing is very affordable around here. Orange county has quite a few nice cities (Irvine, Tustin, Mission Viejo, most of the coastal communities), but they are quite expensive.

Many O.C. families find themselves moving to the Inland Empire. In the IE, Temecula and Hemet are great communities, as is parts of Riverside. We live in downtown Riverside, just 30 minutes from the ocean, Disneyland, mountains and desert. It's affordable (compared to OC) and my neighborhood is safe.

I used to live on the central coast, and moving to So. Cal was definately an adjustment. Lots of traffic, smog, superficial people. But if you really look hard, you'll find something that is just right for you.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparklett View Post
We live in downtown Riverside, just 30 minutes from the ocean
Wow! Really??? That's amazing to me. I'm not a socal native, and I'm constantly sifting new geographic info into my brain and adjusting my perspective of where everything is and how it all fits together. When I think of Riverside and the IE, I think of somewhere *far* inland, reaching almost to the border...I would have thought it would take 2 or 3 hours or something to get from Riverside region to the sea...

30 minutes??? Really???
Wow!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amoreena View Post
Wow! Really??? That's amazing to me. I'm not a socal native, and I'm constantly sifting new geographic info into my brain and adjusting my perspective of where everything is and how it all fits together. When I think of Riverside and the IE, I think of somewhere *far* inland, reaching almost to the border...I would have thought it would take 2 or 3 hours or something to get from Riverside region to the sea...

30 minutes??? Really???
Wow!
I'm moving back to SoCal this summer after four years in Colorado. Riverside isn't far at all as indicated by the previous poster and seems really short when there's no traffic
. The Riverside freeway (91) feeds into the 55 freeway (it even says "Beach Cities" on it) which spits you right out in the middle of Newport Beach
That's where my husband is working while I'm here in Denver waiting for the kids (and me) to finish up the school year.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I hate to say it, but we splurge and use the toll roads. We typically skip the 55 and end up taking the 241 toll road down to Laguna. We like doing campfires on the beach late in the evening, so by the time we get on the road, we've skipped most of the traffic, especially on weekends. We also like taking the beach train as well. The trip is a bit longer, but it's so nice to just sit on the train for an hour, hang out in San Clemente for the day, and hop on the train to go home.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:

we will be moving next month if all works out. dh works in fullerton, living with ILs right now in Tustin... what is an affordable/safe city to live in? we're moving from south dakota so it's a huge change for us! i also would like to find a ped/homeopathic doctor who will respect our decisions... i was looking and found some LLLs there
(which i'm excited about!) are there any other ap/nfl groups that meet? i have a 9 month old & 2 1/2 yr. old!

TIA

-Heidi
Hi Heidi! weird....I live in Fullerton and just found your post by snooping around. Yes, unfortunately Fullerton is kind of expensive but I just love it here. The real estate market is definitely not as crazy as it used to be around here but I understand that it's still extremely over-priced. Nevertheless, it is very safe and there are some great mums around here. A wonderful resource place is The Birth Connection (thebirthconnection.com) which is in Fullerton where they have great holistic mom get-togethers and events and a store which sells cloth diapers, baby carriers and other cool items. I also have a wonderful ped who is very respectful and knowledgeable and takes her time with each patient. I have a 2 1/2 year old too and one due in July. PM me if you want more info. Good luck!
Vicky

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amoreena View Post

30 minutes??? Really???
Wow!
Well....don't get TOO excited. I live 3 miles from the beach (Huntington Beach), and Riverside is more like 45 minutes away...if there is no traffic. I can get to the very outskirts of Riverside in 30 min. if I do 80 the whole way. The IE is Inland....nowhere near the border. San Diego is the bordering city, which is 2 hours south of Orange County.
Southern California, and "affordable" do not go hand in hand, sorry to say. The IE is more affordable if you are looking to buy a house, but even then, it's going to be a HUGE shock to the system for somebody coming from the Midwest. Not to mention, the morning and evening commute for the OP's husband. From the IE to OC...it REALLY is not worth it! Nice neighborhoods are getting to be about as sparse as LA and OC neighborhoods. Here in HB, we are listed as one of the safest cities in the US...rather impressive. We own a prefab home in a great area! We're 3 miles from the water...literally. We are in an award winning school district as well. I LOVE it here! Prefab homes in our community go for anywhere between 60,000 and 190,000. Depends on the age and location of the home.
There are still some nice areas left in Fullerton, Garden Grove, Westminster, Orange and Santa Ana. I don't know that purchasing would be affordable, but rental will be reasonably competative to the IE. I will say this though....I would NOT live in a prefab anywhere else but Huntington Beach. It's also hard to find a family community of prefab homes...as most of them are senior communities.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We used to live in Diamond Bar which was a nice area. DH worked in Fullerton at the time. Some other areas around there I'd rec checking out are Walnut, Yorba Linda, Plancentia and San Dimas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.