Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving to San Juan Island sometime in the near/far future. I have a 2 year old daughter, a 40 year old husband and am 4 months pregnant. Am looking for like minded mothers to correspond with. Wondering how attachment parenting friendly the community is, how open to non-vaccinating, etc. Please talk to me. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stayinhom
I will be moving to San Juan Island sometime in the near/far future. I have a 2 year old daughter, a 40 year old husband and am 4 months pregnant. Am looking for like minded mothers to correspond with. Wondering how attachment parenting friendly the community is, how open to non-vaccinating, etc. Please talk to me. Thank you.
I'm jealous!!!!
I only know one family there and they are kind of middle of the road. Their son was extended breastfed (he's 5 or 6 now) and slinged and selectively vaxed starting when he was 2. I spent the night at their house when he was 6 months old and didn't see a crib anywhere. But they aren't your super crunchy hippie types. They just parent by instinct for the most part.
I've been to Friday Harbor twice and the people I interacted with were wonderful. I bet you'll love it and make lots of like-minded friends.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Hey there! Haven't been on MDC in a while, but this was serendipitous...

I'm in the San Juans, on Orcas. Our community here is very AP-friendly; extended breastfeeding and non-vaxxing are actually the norm in my circle of friends, and very community accepted. Lots of local, organic foods available, and even pushed for in schools. Many home-school here, and on Orcas there's a Waldorf-inspired preschool through grade 4/5.

Biggest downside of island living is the tremendous cost attached to everything, and that living here can be very isolating much of the time. You must love solitude and self-reliance!

Sorry for the short answer; I'm exhausted after a trip to what we islander's call "America"-- the mainland. Feel free to PM me with any questions, and welcome to MDC!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's good to know that I will be able to find like minded individuals in the San Juans. It's so hard sometimes finding support for your parenting choices. I really appreciate the information. I do worry about the expense though. Is it just everything cost more (groceries, etc.) or the cost of the ferry back and forth...actually probably both, huh?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.